• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Happy Frog Potting Soil = Fungus Gnats?

Roguejim said:
I just need to figure out how important lime is to peat based soils, and how to determine the proper amount.
1 cup per cubic foot (7.5 gallons) of soil mix and avoid dolomite at all costs. Can you get oyster shell flour? It's far better.

I buy my Happy Frog from a hydro shop that stores it inside.  I've not had any issues with gnats.  Miracle Grow from Home Depot that is stored outside has always had gnats.  

The Count said:
I buy my Happy Frog from a hydro shop that stores it inside.  I've not had any issues with gnats.  Miracle Grow from Home Depot that is stored outside has always had gnats.  
Most soils stored that way have them. I had some Kellogg Patio Plus one year that was bad as well. The soil stays too wet and that is the culprit.

I thought I'd throw this info out there.  It's part of an email I received from someone at Sun Gro Horticulture regarding their product, Sunshine Mix #2.  I inquired as to the potential for fungus gnat eggs in the packaged mix.  The response:

"You should not have a problem with eggs of any type of insect in this mix since it does not have any compost or bark that the insects would be attracted to."

Assuming this is accurate, it answers another question of mine about buying peat moss that is stored outdoors, for my own homemade seedling mix.  Looks like no problem with peat moss, either. 

Roguejim said:
I should mention that I've abandoned bottom watering in favor of top watering.
There is your issue.
Jeff H said:
The Happy Frog I used was stored inside at the local hydro shop. Hardly any fungus gnats. I paid a lot for it. The Miracle grow soil I bought at HD was stored outside. It had more fungus gnats. I didn't pay a lot for it. That is the pattern I see.

I watered all my plants with water that had mosquito dunks soaking in it. No sustained fungus gnat issues for me at all this year.
YES!

Buy the indoor stuff that is dry. I have tried a ludicrous amount of different soils from different manufaturers and have never seen a gnat.

I have been told by an owner of a local shop, that literally every single mix they sell that has ANY organic content, CAN, DOES, WILL HAVE, fungus gnats, without exception. Peat, coir, mixes, everything.

Pr0digal_son said:
There is your issue.

YES!
Buy the indoor stuff that is dry. I have tried a ludicrous amount of different soils from different manufaturers and have never seen a gnat.
Top watering may exacerbate the fungus gnat problem, but not if the gnats aren't present in the soil to begin with. I had fungus gnats last season, and I bottom watered.

Why is this post not dead yet?

Soil can get contaminated, ANY SOIL! so why blame one brand? I can see blaming a big box store for storage practices.

96strat said:
I had a infestation one year inside. Talked to a bio professor and he said to microwave the medium for 90 seconds and add micro nutrition back in after. Have not seen a bug for a couple years. Plants doing great this year.

I will be nuking some soil for my two overwinters today or tomorrow.  Sick of fungal gnats from years past.  Good thing is we have an old microwave sitting in the basement that I can taint with the smell of heated potting soil.   :)

I dont want to jink myself but ive been using Fox Farms this whole season and I have not had any type of knats .. at all.  The year prior, I went to home depot and got one of their organic mixes.. worst infestation ever.  i got some dunks, soaked them and top watered.. all were dead within a day or so.  As of right now, I do not have any problems with gnats since i buy my FF froma hydro shop indoors. for $13 bucks. 

Back