• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hardening Off Question(s) 02-18-09

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
OK folks...I am getting ready to start the hardening off process with my first 120 seedlings (all superhots).

I have my make shift greenhouse that is covered with a transluscent plastic material.

Question is: Would it hurt the plants to be in this "indirect" light to begin with or do I need to move the seedlings in and out of the greenhouse to prevent sunscald? Most of the plants have only seen fluorescent lighting since emergence from the soil...they are all in 3" containers and will have to go thru another transplant or two depending on if I transplant to 6" containers before going to 5 gallon pots...

temperatures in the daytime can reach low 90s in the greenhouse while night time temps dip into the 50s....(farenheit)...I can control night time temps using lights close to the plants if necessary or some other method like a couple of strip heaters under the table they are going to be on...pictures will be coming this evening if I get to move any this afternoon after work...

any input very welcome...

Thanks...

My method: 1st day 3 hours of shade, 2nd day 4 hours shade, 2hours sun, 3rd day 4 hours shade, 4 hours sun 4th day good to go. If you are having some intense sunshine and heat you can add a day, but that usually is never a problem here in Virginia in April. Also, the 1st 2 days they are seeing the hours of sunshine, try to check them every 30 min to an hour. I think peppers can take a lot though, just not hours of blazing hot sun the 1st day out.

do yo have a greenhouse?

I'm not sure I would want to risk all 120 seedlings if I hadn't tried it on a few first. Some of it will depend on the light intensity of the fluorescents, some on how intense the sun is there this time of year.

I did move plants outside into my hoop house, flowers, herbs, tomato, and peppers, last year to harden off. I didn't see any problems, but I also tried to place them towards the north end behind a taller plant, so there would be some small breaks in the sun. they all did just fine. Just watch out for slugs, they liked the warmth of the hoop house, too.

I have also put my plants on the front porch next to the railing to harden off. As the sun moves across the vertical bars on the railing alternate sun and shadow on the plants so they don't get the full intensity for more than half an hour or so at a time.

I always start out with only a few hours in the greenhouse and gradually acclimatize, although my greenhouse is made of clear plastic

AJ,

Commercial growers tend to move them directly into the greenhouse where they stay. However, the ones I know have an opaque covering, not clear. If you are going to be home all day where you can keep an eye on them, I would let them sit out until you see signs they may need a shade break.

Mike

wordwiz said:
AJ,

Commercial growers tend to move them directly into the greenhouse where they stay. However, the ones I know have an opaque covering, not clear. If you are going to be home all day where you can keep an eye on them, I would let them sit out until you see signs they may need a shade break.

Mike

Can't be a greenhouse if it's opaque, that would let no light in. I think you meant translucent. Reduces light intensity, but still lets it through.

I use a shade cloth on my greenhouse but I believe the plants still should to be slowly acclimatized to their new environment. The plants have to get used to more fluctuation in temp, humidy, light levels, CO2 levels, wind etc., as well as the direct sun.

bigt said:
Can't be a greenhouse if it's opaque, that would let no light in. I think you meant translucent. Reduces light intensity, but still lets it through.

Yep, I should wait until I ingest at least 24 ounces of Mt. Dew before posting!

Mike

I've never had to do seedlings that were 100% indoor grown to the size yours are. That said, some of the problems I've had with mine are:

Wilting due to harsh morning light after a cold night (40's) I threw a frost blanket over the greenhose to cut the light while they warmed up.
Definitely start with filtered light of some kind and work your way up.

Getting too hot too fast in the greenhouse and me not paying attention. Poor little babies had to get an emergency cool down with some water and I still fried some leaves. They dry out real fast too.
Got me a remote "refrigerator/freezer" thermometer that goes BEEPBEEPBEEP when temps get too high or too low... kind of like one of those remote smoker thermomters some people use.

That whole "the weather man said it wasn't going to get below 40F" thing. :shocked:
See thermometer above.

cool...thanks for the input all...this Friday is my regular day off and I think I will put them in there for a period to see how they do...I can move them in and out as necessary for at least three days...

Back