• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hardening plants

I didn't quite realize how precise the hardening off process had to be. I took a couple of my most mature plants out into the sun for an hour one day, a week later, 3hrs, then 3hrs again about a week later, and again, and although it seemed to do fine with this, I left it out for ~5hrs and...it's not my biggest plant any more, for sure. Lost a lot of leaves to burn, and all of the other plants i did that with got pretty crispy too. Definitely gonna be more careful, and not push it, next time.

Pimental said:
I didn't quite realize how precise the hardening off process had to be. I took a couple of my most mature plants out into the sun for an hour one day, a week later, 3hrs, then 3hrs again about a week later, and again, and although it seemed to do fine with this, I left it out for ~5hrs and...it's not my biggest plant any more, for sure. Lost a lot of leaves to burn, and all of the other plants i did that with got pretty crispy too. Definitely gonna be more careful, and not push it, next time.
I've lost a lot of leaves to burn on my smaller juvenile plants but they're still green on them so I hope they will recover. At this point they've been out over a week under my screen wire and I haven't been shading it anymore cuz we've had a lot of cloudy days with a little bit of sun mixed in and I'm hoping that they're just about to the point that they can take off on their own

Pimental said:
I didn't quite realize how precise the hardening off process had to be..

Not so much precise as moderation. 3 hours of partially sunny - cloudy (moderation) a lot different than direct sun for same length of time. What I'm trying to say is if you feel comfortable your seedlings probably are. If your sweating and getting a sunburn your plants in the same boat.

I just put mine out under an easy up, I know last year I had the whole 10x10 area full, and some of the ones on the east edge got burnt. This year I only have 30 plants, and I have a 10x30 wedding venue type tent set up from cleaning g my garage out. I need to look through my blog and see how long I hardened last year. But I'm on my 3rd cloudyish day this year.

Back