• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Hardening Seedlings?

Is it a bad idea to put my 6-7 day old seedling outside for an hour or so taday?

I'm thinking some real sunlight would give them a boost but I don't want to hurt them if it's to soon.

I dont think they would get hurt just watch the wind...in the past ive had the wind rip some leaves off my bell pepper plants before

Thanks for the tip, it's 83 degrees with a nice gentle breeze which is very refreshing after all the rain we've had :D

If they are only week old seedlings I would not put them outside in direct sunshine, rather I'd find a nice bright sunny window inside and give them the light that way. Good luck with you new plants and welcome.

unfortunately we don't have any sunny windows but I can set them in the shade, that is what I have done with my larger plants so they don't cook, I'll just wait they are under 4 65k fluorescents and doing good and second leafs are starting to grow on a few of the seedling so theie ok I'm just anxious to get them growing :D

Thanks
Eric

I know but its hard :D I did bring them out under the tree and there is cloud cover now and looking like rain again :(

I have late sprouts that go out with the rest. They are in a different tray and usually come in a little sooner. I gauge by leaf color.

I left them out for 3 hours in the shade it seems to have done some good vs harm but we'll see if they all shrivel and parish, I think they'll be ok and the sooner I can get them hardened the better as I'm not equipped to keep these indoors.

Thanks for all the advice!

If they pop up out side they are fine so I just start them out as sprouts if it is time. They seem to take the sun better/quicker. Now they stay out longer. In the beginning they didn't but they hardened quick. Youth heal quicker I guess. :D

Back