• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Harvesting Bhut Jolokia seeds?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering what is the best way to salvage the seeds and save them for next year. My plant has a lot of peppers, so what I have been doing is putting them in the freezer whole. Once seeds are frozen are they still usable or does it pretty much kill the seeds?

Thanks

Just pulled them out of the pepper, stick on papper tray put a papper on towel, let it dry a few days, than put in a lightproof container and store in cool dark place.

Pretty sure freezing them will make the seeds nonviable. Do as Joshuap2000 suggested. Just note that "cool" does not mean freezing.

Water expands when frozen so if the seeds aren't fully dry it could ruin them. But I have heard of people germinating seeds that had been frozen.

Personally, I would do what was said above^

I just learned this the hard way FYI - "[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]must use nitrile gloves as latex is porous to capsaicin." [/background]

I heard from a guy, that a few seeds survived after freezing, but normally this will kill all seeds.

For small amounts of pods I use a sharp knife to open the pods and forceps to remove the seeds.
This gives you clean seeds with less contaminating tissue.

Then wash with water + detergent and dry

Peter

Yeah I also aggree with the paper towel method thats the easy way.

Try to separate the placental tissue from the seeds too, because a little bit can hold moisture that will take longer to dry out and if it is stored with some moisture it will age the seeds faster and could provide a haven for infectious diseases that can be passed down to the next plant.

- Ok too much information but seeds are pretty hardy, just dry them well and they'll be good.

Back