• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Harvesting extract?

Yes but if you are trying to extract for purity and want your extract to be several million SHU you're going to have to use a volatile solvent. You can't evaporate off fats, which is why you can still spread it on toast. We're talking enough so a single drop placed in melted butter would make the toast practically inedible :hell:

Yes, more oils can be dissolved per liter in a butter or oil but some still dissolves in alcohol and other volatile solvents. The benefit of using alcohol is you can dissolve the oils from only a couple superhots in a couple liters of alcohol, then evaporate that off and be left with nothing but the oil. No extra fat, water, or anything really except a few other oraganic molecules that also got dissolved in the alcohol.

I was under the assumption that the main point of extracting the capsaicin would be to eat it, so that's why I thought of using butter. But my idea was to use a fatty phase to get more capsaicin in the idea that you would not need to dish out a big manufacturing cost. There are many ways to separate oils to get rather pure solutions. If you purely wanted 100% pure capsaicin, I would still use a fat phase to dissolve the capsaicin initially, and then use its melting point of approx. 65 degC to "freeze" it out of solution. Olive oil has a melting point of approx -6 degC so you could use a household freezer.

Its possible that won't work however, I would need to look up the activity coefficient of the mixture (or calculate it) to tell if the oil had a big binary interaction on the capsaicin. I believe this separation is by solid liquid extraction in the industry but that is only by my googling.

I believe you will also be getting sugars in your crude extract which can apparently be tricky to seperate

Shouldn't the fact that sugars are readily soluble in water and lipids are not make this a very easy thing to separate off? Add water, centrifuge or let settle, skim off the oils, then slowly boil off the excess water. Repeat if necessary.

Shouldn't the fact that sugars are readily soluble in water and lipids are not make this a very easy thing to separate off? Add water, centrifuge or let settle, skim off the oils, then slowly boil off the excess water. Repeat if necessary.
you do this.
:cool:

you do this.
:cool:

Awesome. I unfortunately don't have a several thousand dollar chem lab setup so I'd have to do something on a much cheaper and less efficient scale. Seems to me its easier to remove the sugar than to carry out the extraction process itself.

Thanks!

Back