• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Harvesting seeds from peppers?

Question, would it be possible to take the seeds from a pepper without letting it 'sit'? I watched some videos on YT and it said to let the pods sit for a couple days before taking the seeds out. I'll be getting a box of peppers soon and was wondering if I can just scrape out the seeds gently (before I use/eat them) and then dry the seeds out before planting or would that not work?

and wipe down your counter tops really well! My wife got burned making dinner after I cut up some juicy red savinas :rofl:

Can't be sure without seeing the videos but I believe what they mean by "set" is this.> http://www.thechileman.org/guide_seedsaving.php

Selecting the pods to obtain viable seed

To ensure the best chances of obtaining viable seed, you must ensure that the pods selected have fully ripened, before harvesting the seed. It may take several months for a pod to mature. 

The pod 'sets' to a final colour as it reaches full maturity, and this is the best time to harvest for viable seeds. The final colour is generally red or yellow, but may also be brown, white, pink/orange, orange, or ivory. The pod may also change to other colours whilst maturing. An immature pod is unlikely to provide viable seed. 

Please wear gloves! Like others have suggest but I learned the hard way. Then when you wear gloves, try to resist all itches on your face. I forgot for a moment and rubbed my nose just for a second and got some pepper oil up the nose. Holy god dammm!!! It eventually cleared my sinus but at a huge price

Back