• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Harvesting seeds that were in the fridge

Pam said:
Don't they stampede when the fruit bats attack?

Ok, sorry, couldn't resist. Got a picture in my head of bunches of bananas galloping wildly around your backyard and now I have the worst case of the giggles.

Nice way to start the morning...

O.k - Fess up now. Who spiked Pams coffee?

Mountain Dew once had very high caffeine and now has none. "New look same great taste", my ass. Not for breakfast anymore.

POTAWIE said:
Mountain Dew once had very high caffeine and now has none. "New look same great taste", my ass. Not for breakfast anymore.

WHAT!!

*Grabs bottle, reads ingredients*

Let's see...chemical, chemical, chemical...Orange Juice....chemical....Caffeine!!!

Don't scare me like that!

Pam said:
WHAT!!

*Grabs bottle, reads ingredients*

Let's see...chemical, chemical, chemical...Orange Juice....chemical....Caffeine!!!

Don't scare me like that!

You're lucky.

"Mountain Dew (and its energy drink counterpart known as AMP) often incurs the disapproval of some health experts[2] due to its relatively high caffeine content for a soft drink (or energy drink). However, Mountain Dew marketed in Australia and Canada (see Dew Fuel/Mountain Dew Energy varieties below) — as well as several U.S. states — has no caffeine added at all (Health Canada states that caffeine cannot be in non-cola food products"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Dew

Kittyfang said:
Well first of all, I don't have a lot of money, so I'm use to saving the seeds of whatever it is I have. Also, we don't have a lot of seeds around (Lowe's is pretty much empty at this time).

But I'm still hoping I can get something out of them.. If not, I still have the habanero. :)

IMO dont even try to keep seeds from unripe pods, not worth your time or effort. you dont have alot of money ? so you're saying you dont have a couple dollars to buy some seeds, like $2 ? I find that hard to believe, unless you're a bum, I think you could spend $2 on some good seeds.
& of course lowes dont have much for seeds right now because the growing season is OVER!! for the USA (I mean for the general population which they wont stock springtime items in the fall just cause southerners can still grow)

bent - get off me about what I said!
to think someone with a computer & internet connection cant spend $2 on some good seeds is crazy IMO, if you cant afford $2 then why do they have the internet & a computer ?
but yet they'd waste more time & energy trying to grow unripe seeds, which would equal more than $2 :rolleyes:

it seems to me you have a problem with common sense!

chilihunter,

I have to agree with you (though I might have been a tad more tactful!). The potting soil, nutrients and time alone make the $2 investment mandatory.

Yeah, I'll try some seeds from plants I grow but I'm not counting on them, which is good. None of them have sprouted. Worse might be having them sprout then never grow as they should. I'm testing some seeds now for a company that has some concerns.

If anyone wants to test them also, let me know and I'll mail a couple of each variety:
Santa Fe Grande
White Hab
Tabasco
Passilla Bajio
Black Hungarian
Numex Big Jim
Hungarian Hot Wax

Some of my plants came from seeds out of store bought pods. The seeds simply aren't stocked here & I don't see the point of ordering in say Jalapeno seeds when there are Jalo seeds in their natural packet at the local supermarket.

Hey guys! Was off computer for a couple days so I missed all the excitement, but geess! Take a chill pill chilehunter. No, I don't have the 2$ to pay for seeds and even if I did have it, I would still use my own seeds. I'm not a bum. In this day and age internet is like the phone; a nescecity. Also I make my own bread and knit my own socks, so I'm perfectly happy with harvesting my own seeds. I think someone needs a hug... and a little less judgemental juice.

and a big hug to everyone else!

I grow my own eggplants. And Jack is coming tonight. The blooms have produced one fruit so far. So I can spend $5 on electricity, 50¢ on plastic, two hours of time and my skills to build a tent over the plant so the eight blooms will eventually turn into fruit I can harvest - if I'm lucky. Or I can go to the store and buy fresh eggplant for a Washingotn a piece.

It's a good time investment imo.

(You forgot to calculate in the gas money... and the fact that everyone has touched the store's eggplant :P )

bentalphanerd said:
Some of my plants came from seeds out of store bought pods. The seeds simply aren't stocked here & I don't see the point of ordering in say Jalapeno seeds when there are Jalo seeds in their natural packet at the local supermarket.

My objection to store-bought pods is that you don't know what you're getting. It could be a hybrid that isn't going to breed true, or it may have cross pollinated with a completely different pepper. Admittedly, since most commercial farms seem to practice monoculture, the latter isn't as much of a worry.

Of course, if that's the only way to get what you want, ya takes yer chances.

So, Kittyfang, you do realize you have fallen in with some enormously generous folks, don't you? Post a wish list, and some of us might be able to send you some seeds.

Pam said:
My objection to store-bought pods is that you don't know what you're getting. It could be a hybrid that isn't going to breed true, or it may have cross pollinated with a completely different pepper. Admittedly, since most commercial farms seem to practice monoculture, the latter isn't as much of a worry.

True, but at $1 per seed to import & maybe they get torched at customs on the way...it's worth taking chances with a few store bought. I scored my Jalapeno Grande through the store...I bought 1 pod, had 60 seeds in it...1 sprouted.

Like Pam says though - 'ya takes yer chances' just need to weigh the odds.

Pam said:
So, Kittyfang, you do realize you have fallen in with some enormously generous folks, don't you? Post a wish list, and some of us might be able to send you some seeds.

Ditto. Wheres the list?

aww shucks! You guys are indeed generous (and a barrel of fun I might add). Ill make a small wish list, but Ill also make a list of what I have to see if anyone would like some of it! :)

Back