• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense has anyone seen a demon habanero?

has anyone seen seed for sale grown or is growing the :hell: Demon habanero i had some info on it from what i remember, seems to have been som sort of cross a chillihead made i think his name was scotchbonetSteve or something cuz i have seen it as SBS DEMON HABANERO it looks like a long red fatali or bhut,, if anyone has grown it what was it like? i think hippyseed use to cary it or reviewed it a wille back,,,

They aren't stable,as far as I know.They weren't at the time of his death.
I don't know how many people grew his seeds out in isolation and may have possibly stabilized them.I doubt it.Nobody grows stuff out for very long these days.If a seed grows what looks to be what they think it should be the claim it is stabilized.
To my knowledge,nobody has of yet gotten pods the size Steve did.

A lot seem to grow true for a while though.

http://www.fiery-foo...g-mother-nature

Mine grow top shaped pods (like golden Lanterns) that,I've been told will be long the second year.

My seed stock is from Steves seeds grown in isolation before he died.

He sent Demon Hab. F1 and F2,Chocolate Demon Hab. F2.

The chocolate ones grew LARGE yellow pods for me last time and the plant I have now has green pods so it is debatable as to if they will be yellow or chocolate.

Some plants DID grow chocolate pods.
Steve also made a Datil Aji Dulce , Datarillo,Datalerro,Peruvian Chinense X Fatalii(chocolate Fatalii) ,a golf ball sized Cherry(short season) called Cherry Moon.
Mustn't forget his Giant Congo Trinidad and Scotch Bonnets.

I have seeds for several of his grow outs,but they are getting old and germinate poorly.But all it takes is 1 plant...

He spent a lot of time through selective breeding developing short season varieties that he could grow to maturity in N.Y. short summer season.
He was on a quest for a 5in. habanero.

Before Steve Died I told him I'd try and help him stabilize/grow out in isolation, the stuff he sent me seeds for.
His daughter thinks all his seeds and his journals were lost after his death...

smokemaster do you know what was the original cross the created the demon hab fatali x red hab maybe,,? cool that some on here actualy knew Steve seemed like a cool guy,

I really don't know.
He was crossing several peppers at the time.
I've heard lots of speculation about it,but I think most of it was mostly Steve's magic and Area 51.

I've always thaught his FataliiXPeruvian Hab. X was part of his chocolate version.
Peruvian Chinense are long pods...

I also know we talked about Paper lantern at one time too...
Fatalii could be part too.
He did a lot of Datil crosses.Could have been a red DatilX too.

I was hoping to get his journals but they were lost after his sudden death a few years back.

Steve also had access to some varieties that nobody ,in general had or has...

He didn't just cross stuff.

He hand selected his plants,pods and seeds first.

I'd guess it took a few seasons just to develope the traits in the plants he used to cross to get whatever he was working on.
His crosses were sometimes crosses of Hybrids he already made.

I seriously doubt anyone can reproduce a lot of Steve's stuff.

Like it says in the article,he took several seasons of selective growing and breeding to get what he wanted.

His Giant Congo reds were just plants he grew out and re grew seeds from only pods that were extra large.
At least the version I have seeds for.

I grew the congo's 3 yrs. or so ago.
They were monsters even though the plants were dying and leafless from mites.

He did the same thing with red dominica and a guadeloupe habanero.

Several of Beth's (Peppermania's) seeds are Steves creations.
I don't know that she offers the large Bonnets or chocolate fatalii anymore but I think she has one of his large habaneros.
Not sure.
I talk to Beth on the phone often but seldom visit her site very much anymore.(don't need to,I just ask her about stuff on the phone.)

Butch T(Tigerb8),Chris and a couple others here on thp knew Steve through MSN C2C site better than I did.

first time i ever got any seeds they came from beth she is cool love talkin peppers with her,, i need to call and ask her if she keeps any of his crosses would suck if they are all lost hippyseed did review the demon hab but is not selling seeds,,that red long hab is badass looks cool,

I knew Steve and met him in person. A truly class act. The type of guy who would do anything for a friend and was a big help to me starting out. May he RIP. He could grow pods to an amazing size in his garden. I remember the first time he pulled some out of a paper bag to give me My jaw dropped. lol.

Chris

so Chris and Smoke, you guys are saying folks used work with their crosses for years, actually try and stabilize them? then they did not charge an arm and a leg for them?

wow.......the old days were cool.

it's still going on if you go to the right places...

The last seeds Steve sent me were on his dime.
He knew I was interested in some variety in a post so he sent me several different seed varieties to grow out in isolation.

It does suck at times when I see people selling stuff I gave them seeds for in an SASBE only to see them selling seeds for a non isolated cross ( sometimes still calling it by what it should be,not what it grows now) of it for stupid prices.
Worst part is that the original strain gets lost due to non isolated grow outs.

BUT once the seeds leave my hands,they aren't mine anymore...

Back