• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Has anyone used Air Pots?

They don't dry any faster than a normal container for me. But then again, I use HUGE ones...lol Any container will dry a bit fast if your aerator content is above 20%.

Yeah, larger objects increase air pockets that are beneficial to microbe and root growth, smaller ones like sand create tiny pockets that retain water. 20%by volume or greater will make your soil dry much quicker. If you have heavy or sticky soils, 50%bv is reccommended by the pearlite people.

Yes I hear that the best mix would be 80% large particals and 20% fine particals. I have grown cherry tomatoes in a mix of 80% perlite and 20% potting mix, higher yielding mix then basic potting soil if fertilized and watered more often. Although I choose to use good old potting mix for most of my chiles now, I like to grow a few in some custom mixes, one is the 5-1-1 I found online invented by "tapla". It is one of the best media I ever worked with.

Heres a crappy pic of 2 Brazilian Starfish one in Cheaper style "Air Pot" and one in fabric pot they are tall leggy plants (the B.S. seems to be anyways) under cfls and window light. The one in the air pot has more pods than the other one. Is this because of container? No idea lol.
DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

DSCF0092.jpg

I work at a Hydro store and don't get involved in this containers better than that one I just grow plants in them with same media and see what happens. There are way to many gimmicks out there.

I'm currently using a few different sized airpots. 1 liter, 1.5 gal, and 3.4gal.
I just transferred a peter pepper from the 1 liter to a 1.5 gal.
The roots were doing as advertised and the rootball was dense.
I gave it a good seaweed soak and transferred to the larger airpot.
I'm using PromixBx with the airpots and the plants seem to be loving it.
As well I have a Giant Bhut and an Atomic Starfish making the transfer outside in 1 liter airpots.
Here's some pics:
IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

Since I'm using airpots I thought I would post an update on the progress of the peppers I posted a month ago.
Good timeframe to see some growth.
Here is what my peter pepper looks like since my last post one month ago.
Starting with peter on 6/8:
IMG_4066.jpg

peter 7/8:
IMG_4751.jpg

This is my giant bhut and atomic starfish on 6/20 when I upgraded them to a 1.5 gal airpot
IMG_4315.jpg

This is the giant bhut followed by the atomic starfish today, still in 1.5gal airpot after 18 days of growth
IMG_4753.jpg

IMG_4755.jpg

Here is butch t #1 in a 1.5 gal today
IMG_4750.jpg

White habanero in 1.5gal today
IMG_4749.jpg

Trinidad scorpion in 3.4gal
IMG_4748.jpg

All my youngsters in 1 liters today
IMG_4746.jpg

And lastly a side by side for height comparison all 1.5gal except far left which is 3.4gal
IMG_4757.jpg

I'll update again once I upgrade the kids from the 1 liters to 1.5 gallon airpots.

Just because many have been growing healthy productive plants in regular pots does not say these air pots will not increase productivity with the same grow media, because its clear they would.

Im currently using Geopots (similar to smarpots) and now wondering if these "air pots" have an even additional advantage. Aesthetically these "air pots" look way cool and apparently perform as advertised.

More air exposure to the roots equals better air pruning effects. Now if they would only drop the price, I'd be sold. I bought 7gal geopots this season for the same price as 2 gal smart pots last season. Let's hope more people adopt this technology and drive prices down.

Hey, ColoradoRonin!

Thanks for sharing, nice plants you got there.

Thanks!
No problem. I just wanted to let everyone see the results I'm getting.
There's very little info on these pots out there.

Today I potted up two sprouts into 1 liter airpots.
A Yellow Brain Strain and a Red #001 Unknown Superhot.
I also potted up two Purple Bhuts into 1.5 gallon airpots from 1 liters, unfortunately I didn't photo the transplant into the larger airpots.
Next time I move one up to the larger size I will definitely document it.
Good news is that I did document the pot up of the Yellow Brain into the 1 liter.
Here it is:
I use Rapid Rooters for sprouting seeds.
IMG_4867.jpg

1 liter airpot:
IMG_4876.jpg

Before I add Promix I spray the inside of the airpot with water to allow the media to adhere to the sides.
I've found that doing so helps get into all the nooks..
IMG_4884.jpg

Once I have some mix inside I mush it into the small airholes to fill in as much as possible.
I then fill more and then press it down followed by a spray again.
I do this one horizontal row at a time.
The one thing I have noticed, it is best to really pack down the Promix.
The tighter its packed less chance of anything coming out of the holes later on down the road.
IMG_4880.jpg

Once I have filled enough to get to the top I place an empty RR cell into the middle and begin back filling.
IMG_4885.jpg

IMG_4888.jpg

Once I reach a level with the top I remove the empty cell and spray the interior of the hole with seaweed water solution.
IMG_4893.jpg

Add the Rapid Rooter cell and compress, top off with some more mix then water. Done.
IMG_4874.jpg

Top view of Purple Bhuts (1.5gal) Yellow Brain and Red #001
IMG_4898.jpg

Side view:
IMG_4899.jpg

I'll update again once I move a pepper from a 1 liter to a 1.5 gallon.

I'm back for a one month update.

From left to right- Trinidad scorpion 3.4gal, Atomic Starfish,Giant Bhut Jolokia, Peter, White Habanero and Butch T #1 all in 1.5gal.

Here is what the bunch looked like on 7/8.
IMG_4757.jpg

Here is what they look like today 8/9.
IMG_5879.jpg

Until the next update...

Well I'm back for another one month update.
Here's a sequence of the last 3 months.
L/R- Trinidad Scorpion 3.4 gallon, Atomic Starfish, Giant Bhut Jolokia, Peter, White Habanero, and Butch T Trinidad Scorpion all in 1.5 gallon airpots.
7/8:
IMG_4757.jpg

8/9:
IMG_5879.jpg

Today 9/10:
IMG_7200.jpg

Until the next update...

Back