• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Has anyone used one of those Omega Garden carousel hydro units?

I was online looking at small hydro system and one really caught my eye. It was a hydro system, but the 6 grow block section was built on a carousel that rotates around the light and when it gets to the bottom it goes through a nutrient system allowing the cubes to stay wet. Not sure how fast the thing turns, but it seemed like a nice system if you have a small amount of space to work with. I can imagine running one of these on my patio during the winter. The only concern is the plants getting sick from turning all day long.

Here is some info from their site.

garden_schematic_2.jpg

Increase growing space
grow in the circle with a design that greatly increases your square foot growing area. The Volksgarden® unit, for example, can grow up to 80 plants in just 8 sq.ft. of floor space.

Maximize light capture
the same cylindrical design captures almost all of the lumens emitted by your light source, ultimately saving money and minimizing your time to harvest.

Optimize water and feeding
the cylinder rotates slowly through the feeding trough allowing plant medium to absorb only the water and nutrients needed. This results in strong, healthy, and pure growth.

Produce high yield plants
effect on plants being constantly rotated, 360 degrees is known as orbitropism. This effect combined with gravity’s influence on plants, compresses the plant, producing more internodes, or flowering sites with shorter and stronger growth. You get more harvest per plant!

I can see it working for lettuce, basil etc, but not for a large pepper or tomato plant and definitely not for cucumbers or vining plants. Do ya really believe that thing could spin 80 plants full of maters or peppers? Or even 80 lettuce or basil plants? :crazy:

Mike

I think they are designed to grow out plants before transplanting them, not really for a full grow. Either way I can imagine how nice it would be to grow out 72 seeds in the space you would take to grow out a couple dozen.

>> Produce high yield plants
effect on plants being constantly rotated, 360 degrees is known as orbitropism. This effect combined with gravity’s influence on plants, compresses the plant, producing more internodes, or flowering sites with shorter and stronger growth. You get more harvest per plant!<<

Doesn't sound like the company is promoting it for growing seedlings! And if one can grow 10 full-size pepper plants in 10 square feet, I will duff my hat to them.

Mike

If the light is about 3' away from the plant and the avg size of a full grown pepper is 5' obviously you wouldn't have room to grow peppers. I didn't think it would be necessary to state the obvious, but I guess the obvious isn't always that obvious to a few select "special" individuals.

Chiles are special. they will grow in those conditions and will give you fruit. just need the right light.

Back