• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Has my plant contracted a virus?

True, true. I am in fact an actual engineer, just one that is used to dealing with computers and electronics that give immediate feedback when I try to force them to do stuff they don't like.

One can always hope that the plants will teach me some patience still   :dance:

Thanks yet again to all of you for trying to make me see the error of my ways!

Chilidude said:
Are there enough room in this forum for two engineers?
Yeah, I think so. We speak a common language, so it's been my experience that we tend to get along better than most. :D

I've got a degree in mathematics, also, so if there needs to be only one engineer, I'll just defer to that.

solid7 said:
Yeah, I think so. We speak a common language, so it's been my experience that we tend to get along better than most. :D

I've got a degree in mathematics, also, so if there needs to be only one engineer, I'll just defer to that.

:cheers:

I'm afraid I'm not able to close out the thread with any conclusive results. I've had 3 weeks vacation now, and haven't been able to follow up the plant as closely as I would have liked, but I think the environmental shock from moving it outside probably overshadowed any other changes I applied. The season is pretty much over where I live, but I think I will try to bring it inside and miniaturize it, if nothing else then just for the experiment.

It certainly looks a lot different now, it dropped a lot of it's leaves and the new growth have consisted of tiny leaves in pretty few clusters.

The new location has a very messy background, so I don't have a good picture of the whole plant right now, but let's just say it isn't pretty.

However most of the new growth that I think otherwise looks pretty good still has some brown/black spots on them, I've attached some pictures of new growth at different stages. (At least one of the leaves I think is from when it still lived in the humid basement)

Can anyone help with might be causing them? Can it be bacterial?
I notice that sometimes the spots are between the veins and sometimes they follow the veins. Also some discoloration can be seen on the stems.

think I have gotten rid of the thrips, and I can't really see anything else living on it.
However it has been pretty cold in the early morning lately - 10C/50F - so I don't think it's very happy in general.

Also, what might cause the leaves to become so small?

On a completely different note I've bought a copy of the Raven biology of plants - maybe it will help with a better understanding of plants in general to diagnose problems myself, or at least gain a better understanding of all the processes that are going on inside a plant :)

Attachments

• 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    935.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG