• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc "Hatch" chiles

HellfireFarm

Business Member
I'm curious about something I've noticed lately: I see people referring to "Hatch" as a variety. i.e. "I have some hatch seeds" or "I'm growing hatch peppers". But my understanding was that "Hatch" specifically refers to Hatch, New Mexico - only chiles grown in Hatch valley are Hatch chiles (like Champagne can only be made in the Champagne region of France). What they grow are typically NuMex varieties like Big Jim or Joe Parker.

Is there something I'm missing?

The seeds sold will usually be from a pepper grown in/near Hatch, it should also list the actual variety like "Big Jim" or whatever. So you are growing Hatch seeds but if you grow them elsewhere, you are ending up with Big Jims not Hatch Big Jims.

Y'all are right... Case in point:

hatch.jpg

The Ortega taco guy brought them (not sure what actual variety) to Anaheim CA where they are called Anaheims. They are very low heat, the soil in Hatch makes them hotter.

Last edited:
I'm curious about something I've noticed lately: I see people referring to "Hatch" as a variety. i.e. "I have some hatch seeds" or "I'm growing hatch peppers". But my understanding was that "Hatch" specifically refers to Hatch, New Mexico - only chiles grown in Hatch valley are Hatch chiles (like Champagne can only be made in the Champagne region of France). What they grow are typically NuMex varieties like Big Jim or Joe Parker.

Is there something I'm missing?
Nope, you have it figured out. Technically, New Mexico law says you cannot call them Hatch chiles unless they are grown in the Hatch Valley. However, New Mexico can't apply its laws to people that have never been to New Mexico. https://nmdeptag.nmsu.edu/licensing-and-registrations/nm-chile-labeling.html

Last edited:
Dan has a roaster on his farm, I'm located in Cortez Colorado. 4 corners area. his farm is actually dow the road from the winery I work at. I bought two bushels off him this fall. I actually pulled a bag and have to cook with them in the next few days. I'll post a pic of the roasted pods.
Do you store the roasted peppers frozen for later use?

I vacuum seal mine in like 1 pound packages. I actually have a batch of pueblo Chile stew on the stove right now with my ground beef from our cow.
I don't know how I missed this! Do you have a favorite recipe you'd like to share? Sounds delicious.

Back