• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Have You Ever Seen This?

I haven't.

This is from a 7 Pod seed that I saved from last year. When it first came up the seed cap was stuck. I removed it but also took the cotyledons which pretty much doomed it. Or so I thought. I put the cup back into the germinating tray and set it off to the side forgetting about it. Had a crazy thought that it might try growing leaves again. I peeked in on things a few minutes ago and was greeted with this. I am so confused.

IMG_3998cre.jpg

It appears that another stem has grown from the root. If you look close you can see the new stem is coming out right next to the old one. This is the first time I've ever seen this happen. I guess because I usually toss the headless seedling when I botch the cap removal.

Anyone else ever see this?

Thanks.

I had 2 yellow cardi seedlings come up in a cell and cut 1 of them at just above the soil line. When I went to repot the other day, the one I thinned out has started to regrow leaves. First time I had seen that too. It is quite weak and probably won't make it, but it is trying. I might just let it continue to do its thing just to see what comes of it.

jacob

That new hook is a totally different seed that probably did not germinate the first go and was left in your starting medium. I have had my share of seedling with their caps left on this year for some reason and I have been removing them and saving some while decapitating others like your original seedling.

Yep, the new hook has a cap on it so there was another seed down there. Should have known that from the beginning. Sure don't remember sticking it down there though.

Think I'll start drinking again so I have an excuse when stuff like this happens.

Thanks guys.

ive never seen that, but i have a tobago seasoning pepper that couldnt get its cap off, and the cotyledons wilted up because of it. its still there though, and the top of it seems to be getting fatter like its gonna make a new pair of cotelydons. very weird.

Back