• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat level purple tiger

It is the first time I'm having purple tiger and it fits all the specs (purple small shaped, multicolored leaves,..) but I don't know about the heat level though. I have seen some catalogues giving it heat level 6 - as a newbie I would have to be on my guards than but it doesn't do me that much really. It has very nice flavour and it's like having gentle strokes with a very thin sharp knive on my tongue but nothing too bad. Will it get 'the punch' when it is in it's red state ? it is currently still purple..

It will get hottest right before it changes color. If you are talking about pretty young fruit, it may not have developed much heat yet. Wait 2 weeks and it will melt your tongue.
Cross pollination or a muted down strain of the plant (or a look-alike) are possible. Give it a little time.

Indeed, when they are more mature (still in purple state though) they are hotter than that first experience. Two little ones in my pasta alla scoglio where too much for the misses, half of the little bells is enough the spice up the bowl of soup.
I like this pepper, and it is loaded with fruits. I'm having less succes with most other varieties in this shitty season - you can count the sunny days this summer so far on one hand so I can't blame them. Cayenne is doing well also and the sweet banana, and some jalapeno, the rest are just developing flowers.

I can recommend purple tiger for my region (western europe) with crappy climate..

Back