• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Heat mat confusion

Ive been looking around and the few mats I saw at the store didnt have thermostats. Of course I could use a thermometer but is there a kind that you can set for 85 degrees? Anyone have a great source?

I bought the jiffy heat mat at Wal-mart and I threw a thermometer inside. It seems to keep the seeds at about 85 F. The ambient room temperature is 70 F. I think they're designed to produce temps in the mid-80s.

I use a pharmacy heating pad..one that doesn't have an automatic shut off. I had it set at medium...and it was 85 degrees.

ddrsheden said:
I use a pharmacy heating pad..one that doesn't have an automatic shut off. I had it set at medium...and it was 85 degrees.

same with mine....just a cheap heating pad...

I guess it depends on the environmental temperature. On mine it says that it will raise the temperature 10-15 degrees higher than the ambient temperature.

all I did was bought a cheap medical heating pad for under 10 bucks at the local Walmart and put my tray on top of it and used the med setting works great!!

Ditto on the cheap drugstore type heating pad. Then put peat pots with seed inside large ziplock and lay a piece of aluminum foil under the loaded ziplock and top of the heating pad and bingo!

I tried to find the heating pad like those mentioned, but all the ones I could find had an auto-shutoff..some kinda safty laws or something. :(

Too bad, as they'r only like $15 and do keep to about 85F.

Maybe you could find an old water bed heater, they have a built in thermostat and work well, I used to have one till I got a hold of a proper heat mat

chicagofire said:
Ive been looking around and the few mats I saw at the store didnt have thermostats. Of course I could use a thermometer but is there a kind that you can set for 85 degrees? Anyone have a great source?

I order from Discount Hydro- they're good people and ship fast. Here's your thermostat and here's your heat pad.

As others have stated- a propagation heat mat will generally heat 10-15 degrees above ambient with no cover. I would highly recommend using the thermostat- with a cover on, under good lights, I've seen 98 degrees without the heat mat.

HeatMatThermo_600.jpg

Back