• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Heat Mat

I know many of you use mats to germinate your seeds. I was wondering what kind of mat each of you use and how long you run them during germination(hour a day/days a week)? Do you continue to run them after seeds have germinated and any other helpful info you may think of.
Thanks,
Josh

Josh said:
Sure thing. Thanks.

There are some very good heat mats with regulated temperature and for chilis 27- 30 is a great range to set these with,Most people will run them constantly 24/7 to germination occurs,The basic ones is just getting your core temperature just right and then germination is just as good,Some of the wilds seem to like a fluctuation in temperature similar to there natural environment:)

talas said:
There are some very good heat mats with regulated temperature and for chilis 27- 30 is a great range to set these with,Most people will run them constantly 24/7 to germination occurs,The basic ones is just getting your core temperature just right and then germination is just as good,Some of the wilds seem to like a fluctuation in temperature similar to there natural environment:)

Thanks. Yea I am a worrier so my concern was a fire. I have been checking out one that incorporates a metal rack; that way it does not touch the surface it is sitting on and it also doesn't touch the bottom of flat. That with a thermostat should get the job done safely.

My hugely limited experience is that they need to be on constantly until germination occurs.

The heat transfers up through the cells (the plant pot things) until the soil around each seed is at the right temperature to germinate - which of course takes time.

Consistency in temperature seems to be the key.

Brokensea said:
My hugely limited experience is that they need to be on constantly until germination occurs.

The heat transfers up through the cells (the plant pot things) until the soil around each seed is at the right temperature to germinate - which of course takes time.

Consistency in temperature seems to be the key.

Under most conditions it is,But some of the wild variety's do like
a slight fluctuation don't no why but it works and not just on chili plants but other tropical plants to :hell:

Josh...a basic principle of heat transfer is conductive heating is more efficient than convective heating...conductive heating means the mat is touching what it is heating while convective heating has an air space between the two components...air is a good insulator and if you have any air movement, you won't be as efficient in your heating efforts as you would be when the mat is touching the bottom of your tray(s)...

the difference may be minor but it is more efficient to have the mat touching the bottom of the trays...bottom line, if the mat is touching the bottom of your tray, it will heat up quicker and use less energy to keep it warm than if there is a space between the two...

Have to agree a.j got mine with some grodan cubes on top and viola there much quicker that way than putting the Mat underneath the propagator :)

AlabamaJack said:
Josh...a basic principle of heat transfer is conductive heating is more efficient than convective heating...conductive heating means the mat is touching what it is heating while convective heating has an air space between the two components...air is a good insulator and if you have any air movement, you won't be as efficient in your heating efforts as you would be when the mat is touching the bottom of your tray(s)...

the difference may be minor but it is more efficient to have the mat touching the bottom of the trays...bottom line, if the mat is touching the bottom of your tray, it will heat up quicker and use less energy to keep it warm than if there is a space between the two...

Well, I was thinking the same thing. It was simply my concern for fire problems that was making me lean towards one with a rack. What kind do you use? If there is a website you got it from that would be appreciated. I guess if everyone has used the direct contact ones with no problems I would be willing to give it a go. Realistically it takes 451 degrees to set paper on fire and the mat will never get close to that, even more so with the thermostat. That is pointless info but part of the process of talking myself into not worrying about it hahaha.

Thanks Josh.

talas said:
Have to agree a.j got mine with some grodan cubes on top and viola there much quicker that way than putting the Mat underneath the propagator :)

Talas, what type and where did you get it from?
Thanks,
Josh

Josh...I don't use a heating mat...I have a 2 chamber germinator I built last year and the temperature is controlled with a remote bulb thermostat...the sensor for the thermostat goes in the soil of the germination trays...I use 150 watt halogen bulbs (2 in each chamber) for heat that are controlled by the thermostat...each chamber is 2' X 2' X 4'....and for seedling light, I have 2 fluorescent shop light fixtures in each chamber that you can adjust the distance from the seedlings and run four 6000K T-12 40 watt bulbs...

I can put four 72 cell starter trays in each chamber...

AlabamaJack said:
Josh...I don't use a heating mat...I have a 2 chamber germinator I built last year and the temperature is controlled with a remote bulb thermostat...the sensor for the thermostat goes in the soil of the germination trays...I use 150 watt halogen bulbs (2 in each chamber) for heat that are controlled by the thermostat...each chamber is 2' X 2' X 4'....and for seedling light, I have 2 fluorescent shop light fixtures in each chamber that you can adjust the distance from the seedlings and run four 6000K T-12 40 watt bulbs...

I can put four 72 cell starter trays in each chamber...

Oh yea I forgot about your pic of your grow room with all that in it. Thanks for the response anyway.

I use a thermostat for germinating seedlings only, and rely on lighting to produce enough heat to sustain light after that.

Essentially, I have a heat mat that houses a propogation chamber. The heat mat has no thermostat, but I use an external thermostat that has a remote temp sensor that goes inside the chamber. I set the remote thermostat to 29C, and then have a secondary temperature sensor ($20 from Bunnings) just to ensure everything is operating as expected.

Back