• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Heat pad

I thought about the satellite box, but mine just doesn't get hot enough. I have a reptile heat mat and everything is in a foil lined box. With my cfl lights on, my soil temps got up to 90 degrees the other day and I had to turn them off for a bit. Still working to figure a way to regulate the temperature better.

I thought about the satellite box, but mine just doesn't get hot enough. I have a reptile heat mat and everything is in a foil lined box. With my cfl lights on, my soil temps got up to 90 degrees the other day and I had to turn them off for a bit. Still working to figure a way to regulate the temperature better.

Pepper you may check the link Patrick and another had posted earlier in this post. I believe those are designed for regulating those heat mats. Today was the first time I'd ever seen one though.

You don't want or need so much moisture it rains inside your dome. That will cause mold. When the plants pop up take them out of the dome.

You don't want or need so much moisture it rains inside your dome. That will cause mold. When the plants pop up take them out of the dome.

Erin you were reading my mind! I was just looking for this thread to ask about damping off. I was not aware of it. I am getting lots of condensation inside the dome which I expected, but is this a bad thing for germating? I can open it up for sure if that is better.

Everyone does things a little different. You need to find what works best for you.

Here's what I do . Seeds in small 8oz styro cups ... holes in bottom ... 1/2 full of Ferti-Lome seed/cutting soil mix. I add more soil a small amount at a time when they get leggy....

I wet the soil pretty good but not to the point of being soggy. Put seeds in cups inside my dome .. dome on heating matt . Thermostat controlling the temp. Fluorescent tubes above controlled by timer. 18 hrs of light. Every morning when the lights come on I open the dome and wipe off all the excess moisture on the lid of the dome with a paper towel and close again.

After the seeds pop up a sprout I take them out of the dome and place under lights. When they need water I use a weak mix of water and nutes ... about 8 to 1. I slowly bring the mix up as the plants grow. I transplant into larger stryo cups ... then into 1 gal pots . By this time it should be ok to start harding them off for their life outside.

Might not be what others do but for me it works.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

So any movement on the stereo plants yet?

Sorry I missed this Shane. As of today I now have 2 hooks out of all 72 lol only took 10 days... Hopefully more will follow or this will be one epic fail.

All I can see here is a potential fire hazard... Try the top of your fridge, probably a lot safer!

Zantrax, no kidding! It worries the hell out of me but I really don't have enough clearance nor is it even remotely warm up there. I actually leave enough breathing room so it can vent somewhat out of the top. It's not pushing any sound out so other than just the power it draws to stay idle that's all it's doing. I've felt it after watching a movie and it is about 20 degrees warmer than what it is now (almost to hot to touch in some cases). So if it can last the 5 years doing that in an enclosed space I feel confident it can do this, but thanks for your concern.

EDIT: I will not be doing this again next year. Will just invest in a regular heat mat I assume.

Back