• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Heat vs Taste

My son in law likes the heat of Habs but does not like the flavor (has tried Orange & Caribbean Red). He wants to find something to grow next season with the same heat range but different taste. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hmmmm.....fatalii, or scotch bonnet are the only peppers I can think of, that have about the same heat. I havent tried either of them so I dont know what they taste like.

i am not a fan of the orange habs. i have a mystery pepper that has a similar flavor to yellow 7 but little hotter than hab. then my devils tongue red is hot and has a milder flavor, but fatalii is my favorite but it is much hotter than a hab imo. i am about to germinate quite a few fatalii just to make sure i get a solid candidate for the season!

Fatalii's are good, What doesn't he like about the orange and red habs? The whole chinese-type fruity/citrus flavor?

My son in law likes the heat of Habs but does not like the flavor (has tried Orange & Caribbean Red). He wants to find something to grow next season with the same heat range but different taste. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm shocked!!
Those are some of my favorites and would have highly recommended them!!
Fatalii and Bonnets are winners too, but I can't leave the 7 Pod Yellow SR pods alone. They're kind of my new favorite for sandwiches lately. As a matter of fact I think I'm going to go make one now!!

There are so many red hab and congo varieties available. To me they're hard to beat. How about a Chocolate congo......smokey tasting

Greg

Fatalii's are good, What doesn't he like about the orange and red habs? The whole chinese-type fruity/citrus flavor?

It is the citrus flavor of the Orange and Caribbean’s that he does not care for. Orange habs are not my favorite either but I really like the Reds. I do have some Fatalii seeds that I recently purchased (Seed Savers) that I will let him try.
Will have to see if I can come up with some Datil & Congo seeds for him also. After reading up on the Datil they do sound interesting.

scotch bonnet would be good tasting with same heat, there a little hotter to me. the taste is wonderfull think jamican,and jerk cooking

I would suggest Yellow Scorpion CARDI. The one's I grew had the most amazing taste and were not near the level of what I consider superhot.

Back