• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Heated Seed Starter/Propagator

Quick question: what brand, type or model heated seed propagator do you recommend? I need to improve my germination success here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Andres...how handy are you at carpentry?

AlabamaJack said:
Andres...how handy are you at carpentry?

Hmmm... not much, my friend. I also don't have any time to pursue any more hobbies what with the beer making (and drinking), booze making (and drinking), chile growing, and hot sauce making. But Im open to suggestions, AJ

was just gonna offer my plans for the germinator I built this past fall...two compartments 2' X 2' X 4' with two shop light fixtures in each compartment heated with 150 watt light bulbs and thermostat controlled...will keep the area at 86F (30C) constant when ambient temp gets down to 25F (~ -4C)

Sounds like a great project, but also sounds like something I will never finish, hehehehe. I could give it a try, though. For now I think I will stick with buying a premade one, thanks AJ!

YW Andres...this is a pretty big set up...I can germinate eight 72 cell trays at a time with it...may be way to big for your use anyway...

I would think too big for me as well. I have limited space right now... Thanks for the offer though. I may take you up on it later on.

I use an old toy box (20"x30"). I lay pieces of 2x4s (though you can use four bricks if you wish) and then lay a piece of plywoood on them, leaving a small gap around the edges. But before placing it in the box, I drilled a small hole in a wall and ran a waterbed heater cord through it, with the controller screwed on the side. Add the wood, plants and cover with glass. Once the seeds germinate, I replace the glass with a wooden top that has 4 23 watt CFL lights. That keeps the chamber warm but the heater can also be used if needed.

Mike

I feel like a slacker next to you guys. I am currently using an old cardboard box heated by a 40Watt light bulb. I just put two plastic trays with 32 styrofoam cups and close with tape. Oh, the shame!! Hence the reason I want to buy a nice seed starter that will give me more germination.

Don't feel bad andres, many of us either can't afford or have no room to build a big project. Check my rig in my sig..that's a concoction for sure..but whatever works I say. ;)

I'm just using a $6 Jiffy 72-cell starter tray w/ dome and heating it with my lights. (3800 lumens, 2x40W EcoGrow floros)

Ecept I'm not using the jiffy's in it at the moment, as it holds 18 8.5oz styro cups nicely. It's a nice 85-90F in there.

I'd sprouted seeds using the damp cofee filter+ ziplock bag method.

Only cost like $40 total too. :D

Think 'outside the box' as it were..you'd be surprised what's possible.

GL,

~QS

Your set-up sounds simple Andres, but it should work very effectively. I used the same thing for years and had 80-90% germination. Perhaps you need smaller plug trays instead of styrofoam cups as they may not be getting even heat. I highly recommend 200 cell or 168 cell plug trays (1-2 seeds per cell). Works like a charm. Once they sprout, transplant the seedlings to their own containers. I can germinate even difficult wild varieties using this method.

Chris

andres said:
I feel like a slacker next to you guys. I am currently using an old cardboard box heated by a 40Watt light bulb. I just put two plastic trays with 32 styrofoam cups and close with tape. Oh, the shame!! Hence the reason I want to buy a nice seed starter that will give me more germination.

I'm using a "HydroFarm" Germination Station that costs about $25 USD.

It holds 72, two inch rockwool cubes and works very well for me.

The flimsy starter tray that comes with it hit the trashcan in minutes. I just put the rockwool or jiffy pellets in the tray and the next day its cover is full of condensation droplets.

Back