food Heating a Jalapeno

I picked a bunch of Jumbo Jalapenos last night and a chef friend stops in and goes " POPPER TIME'.
He heated the oil to 360, dropped the whole peppers in to blanch them and THEN cut off the top and scooped out the seeds out before the usual stuffing, breading and frying.
Let me tell ya.This guy likes HOT food and could only eat 2. My GF could only stand 1/2 of one. I ate 9. :shh: :hot:
Blanching whole resulted in the oils to be released and penetrating the flesh. These things would flat out make you sweat. Try it.
Everyone knows Jalapenos have the best taste but many complain about a lack of horsepower. Do this and they'll quickly change that tune.

Indeed, I did some jalapeño popers with stuffed cheese and bacon bits in it and omg they were damn hot also only ate 10 after i had hiccups sweat and ran out of water but delicious

I used to live by a trailer FULL of mexican landscapers. I learned a lot from them about cooking mexican food. Another one of the things i learned is to slice the jalepeno then cook on a flat pan for a minute then sprinkle salt all over them after. They salt EVERYTHING! Just pop them in your mouth, they become hotter like when blanched in the oil, but retain some crispness. Also, the jalepenos with the streaks are hottest.

A very good recipe I always make:

2 Toms
4 Japs
2 White Onions
2 Green bells

Pork cubed

Corn tortillas

LOTS of salt

Massage lots of salt into the pork. Cook together Onions and bell, then add pork. When pork is half cooked,throw in japs and tomatoes with more salt (we are going for a nice texture of ingredients, not mush, which is why they go in this order!) When pork is done, you're good. Toast tortillas on hot cast iron , or on a dry cookie sheet on burners, dont fry them. Eat the mixture on the warm toasted tortillas. Be sure to drink a modelo with salt on the rim.

I make the sliced japs with salt on the hot ass cookie sheet for an app.

Anybody know the science on this. I don't think chiles can actually get hotter with cooking although they may feel hotter
I've also had heat-less jalapenos with lots of corking so I don't think that really has much to do with heat.

We went o our Mexican hole retaurant the other day, and the owner always remembers us.
We are always asking him to make it hotter! He laughs and saus, OK señor!
I asked for a side order of Jalapeños, thinking I get get a bowl of pickled wheels.
He asked how many I wanted, so I said, 10... 15?
He laughed and said, I'll bring you 4, if you want more, let me know. (all in broken English).
So now I'm thinking 4 fresh whole Japs? No way...

When the meal came, on a seperate plate were 4 whole roasted Jalapeños covered in Salt and chile powder.
Turns out, they dip them in oil, roast them in the oven, then cover them in Salt, Chile powder, and squezze lime juice on them.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I ate 3 wife had 1, we ordered 5 more. Damm those things were good.
I laughed and told him he should have just brought us 10 right off the bat.
Next time we go there, I am going to bring some Red Savina Powder, and have him sit down with us to eat one of those Japs sprinkled with it. I will also bring some of RocketMans Dragons Blood Chocolate sauce, and maybe we can share a Sopapilla with him...

Anybody know the science on this. I don't think chiles can actually get hotter with cooking although they may feel hotter
I've also had heat-less jalapenos with lots of corking so I don't think that really has much to do with heat.
When you heat a seed (or the membrane) to extreme temps it releases the oils....the part most cooks normally scrape out when prepping them for a meal.
Bimbette repeated a batch but cut the tops and scraped them first. Not even close to the same heat. 75 plus % more mellow.

Here's what happens when you heat a seed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTigVB3iauI

Back