• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HeatMiser's 2022 Glog

Happy New Year!

I've been debating whether I should start a Glog this year or not given that I most likely won't have time to update it as frequently as previous years. I decided to still go for it in case somebody wants to know how a particular variety is doing, and also to document my progress.

We moved to a bigger place last year, and now that we actually have a decent sized yard, my outdoor grow will be expanded accordingly and my indoor grow might not happen at all. This year I'll be focusing on a couple of things:

1) Refreshing seeds I've bought over the years. Some of these are 10 years old
2) Experiment with two big (50 Gal) Kratky Setup. I'll be growing Zapotec Jalapenos and Lemon Drops since these are family favorites.

Here are the varieties I'll be playing with this year:

NameYear ObtainedSpeciesSource
Jemez Pueblo
2020​
AnnuumSuperHotChiles.com
Numex Big Jim
2013​
AnnuumTomatogrowers.com
Numex Thanksgiving
2012​
AnnuumChile Pepper Institute
Poblano
2014​
AnnuumTomatogrowers.com
Rayados Jalapeno
2021​
AnnuumSuperHotChiles.com
Serrano
2013​
AnnuumTomatogrowers.com
Takanotsume
2012​
AnnuumChile Pepper Institute
Zapotec Jalapeno
2021​
AnnuumMy own seeds
Aji Lemon Drop
2021​
BaccatumMy own seeds
Peachadew
2021​
BaccatumSuperHotChiles.com
Sugar Rush Peach
2021​
BaccatumSuperHotChiles.com
Bhut Jolokia
2013​
ChinenseTomatogrowers.com
Bhutlah Scorpion
2021​
ChinenseSuperHotChiles.com
Carolina Reaper
2021​
ChinenseMy own seeds
Chocolate Reaper
2020​
Death Spiral
2021​
Fatalii
2013​
Habanero
2013​
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
2013​
ChinenseChile Pepper Institute
Trinidad Scorpion
2013​
ChinenseChile Pepper Institute
White Habanero
2013​
Mini Red Rocoto
2021​
PubescensTHP - PaulG
Peruvian Red Rocoto
2021​
PubescensTHP - PaulG
Tatiana Yellow Rocoto
2021​
PubescensTHP - PaulG

I think that's it for today. I'll be working on soaking up the seeds and putting them in rockwool cubes later today or early tomorrow. Pics will follow as well.

Yes I have read about those ancient seeds being brought back to life... incredible! But they use special techniques I believe...

OK, so all the remaining seeds are in their rockwool cubes now. The waiting game begins:

ayqAWXL.jpg

Here's where things stand right now...

17 varieties have sprouted so far. They are under lights getting their roots air-pruned:

vqw3gx7.jpg

Here are the ones we have at the moment:
  • Aji Lemon Drop
  • Bhutlah Scorpion
  • Carolina Reaper
  • Chocolate Reaper
  • Death Spiral
  • Habanero
  • Numex Thanksgiving
  • Peachadew
  • Peruvian Red Rocoto
  • Poblano
  • Rayados Jalapeno
  • Serrano
  • Takanotsume
  • Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
  • Trinidad Scorpion
  • White Habanero
  • Zapotec Jalapeno
Still waiting on these:
  • Numex Big Jim
  • Jemez Pueblo
  • Sugar Rush Peach
  • Fatalii
  • Bhut Jolokia
  • Mini Red Rocoto
  • Tatiana Yellow Rocoto
This hasn't been without its challenges though. I've had some cases of severe helmet head, as shown here...

This is a couple Death Spirals - Luck would have it that all 3 seeds germinated, so I decided to go with a full decapitation rather than a helmetectomy for the 2 unlucky ones:

hQplVol.jpg

The only Carolina Reaper to sprout so far also had a severe case of helmet-head. Here it is before surgery:

VmloDcl.jpg

This time I used nail clippers because I couldn't yank the seedling free. Successful helmetectomy:

DbTqzlG.jpg

That's it for today, these seedlings are going to stay under lights and be fed half-strength hydroponic nutrients until they develop a robust root system. After that, they'll get transplanted into Solo Cups. I still haven't decided if I'll grow some of them in Kratky. There's still plenty of time.

Alright, @HeatMiser - seedlings looking good.
There is definitely some heat in that list of sprouts!
Bummer about the helmets, I usually have minimal
in rockwool cubes. This season, it was the few really
stubborn late germinators that came out helmeted.

Those blue flags remind me of a flag drill team
out on the football field 😂

I hope those rocotos do well for you. Those are
three killer varieties!

Last edited:
Alright, @HeatMiser - seedlings looking good.
There is definitely some heat in that list of sprouts!
Bummer about the helmets, I usually have minimal
in rockwool cubes. This season, it was the few really
stubborn late germinators that came out helmeted.

Those blue flags remind me of a flag drill team
out on the football field 😂

I hope those rocotos do well for you. Those are
three killer varieties!

Thanks @PaulG!

I think the helmets were my fault. After all I think I didn't do a good job of covering the seeds with rockwool when I originally planted them. Good thing I was still able to get plants for all the affected varieties!

The flags. Haha, that started last year and I think the method just stuck. I needed something I could label the cubes with and that would allow me to move them around. AFAIK, this is not a problem for other people for some reason :)

I'm really excited to try out those rocotos Paul. thanks again for the seeds!

The flags. Haha, that started last year and I think the method just stuck. I needed something I could label the cubes with and that would allow me to move them around. AFAIK, this is not a problem for other people for some reason :)
Yes, it is :lol:

I'm really excited to try out those rocotos Paul. thanks again for the seeds! The pleasure is all mine, my friend! :D

Haven't posted in a while, but not much has changed. Here's how things stand at the moment:

thj6P1T.jpg

It's been almost two months since the chinense seeds were planted into the rockwool cubes. I like this method because the plants stay reasonably sized for a while before I need to pot them up.

This is what has germinated so far:
  • Aji Lemon Drop
  • Bhutlah Scorpion
  • Carolina Reaper
  • Chocolate Reaper
  • Death Spiral
  • Habanero
  • Jemez Pueblo
  • Mini Red Rocoto
  • Numex Thanksgiving
  • Peachadew
  • Peruvian Red Rocoto
  • Poblano
  • Rayados Jalapeno
  • Serrano
  • Sugar Rush Peach
  • Takanotsume
  • Tatiana Yellow Rocoto
  • Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
  • Trinidad Scorpion
  • White Habanero
  • Zapotec Jalapeno

And we are still waiting on the following:
  • Numex Big Jim
  • Fatalii
  • Bhut Jolokia
Out of these, I think I'm only not going to get germination from the Fatalii. There are some hooks in the Big Jim and Bhut Jolokia cubes - they are just taking their sweet little time. Once I hit them up with some of that sweet hydro nutrient they'll perk up in no time.

@HeatMiser - Glad to see that your rocotos
are finally getting underway for you. Some of
your seedlings are growing fast!

@HeatMiser - Glad to see that your rocotos
are finally getting underway for you. Some of
your seedlings are growing fast!
Thanks Paul, those rocotos are surely coming along fine so far. I'm sure their growth will explode once I give them the full dose of nutrients.

I should have some time tomorrow to transplant some of the bigger seedlings into their solo cups. It will only get easier from there - the only problem will be managing the jungle until it's time to take them outside.

Slowly but surely, the plants are being transferred to their Solo cups once they are done with their air pruning and are showing enough roots through the rockwool cubes. There are still a few varieties yet to transplant.

zBYAsJN.jpg

And I say never give up on those seeds - sometimes they will surprise you. This Bhut Jolokia just popped out today, close to 70 days after being planted in its rockwool cube:
HRFQlvB.jpg

Now the only two varieties I'm still waiting on are Big Jim and Fatalii. Hopefully they decide to join the grow soon.

70 days :eek: That must be some kind of record for a BJ!

Transplants are looking good!

Well, life's been really crazy, juggling between work, kids, some house projects and peppers. The grow is going quite well, and I'm preparing to start taking plants outside.

Here's a view of the grow room. I took these pictures a couple of weeks ago:

oYICuSc.jpg

This is one of @PaulG's rocotos. They seem to be doing fine so far:

L3NhdxQ.jpg

I was surprised to see this one growing quite fuzzy. It's either a Rayados Jalapeno or a Jemez Pueblo - can't remember and will update once I have the right name:
vSrZVmd.jpg

Back