• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Heavy producing superhots?

I live up north where the grow season is short,  so a heavy producing superhot is ideal.  I make sauce to last me through the looong winter and spring.  This year I grew Naga Morich and Fatalii(hotter than any other Fatalii's I've had :fireball:, they surprise me everytime! ) with huge success! Each plant put out at least a hundred pods!!! I plan on over wintering a few of each of those, and starting a few more varieties too. I really want more than I got this season, since I'm pretty sure my tolerance is getting higher. Due to the weather, and my job calling me away from the pepper patch,  I'd rather grow rather grow a few plants that put out tons of pods instead of tons of plants that only put out a few pods.

So, what superhots are heavy producers?? 

Yellow 7 Pot was very prolific for me and I also live up North where the grow season is short.
I'd stick to Nagas and 7 pots if you want a heavy producer.

romy6 said:
 I am a firm believer that any super hot can grow great when grown properly with the right climate. 
You would think that living where i do i would struggle but i had a great season this year.  The Carolina Reaper and the 7 pot primo were horrible producers for me.  Also was the Trinidad Chocolate Scorpion.  The naga's i grew were great producers as where the mustard habaneros and caribbean red habanero.  My brain strains we good producers too, but they turned a orange yellow color instead of being yellow.  

It also depends on how big the plants are when you get em outside. The bigger and earlier you get em outside the better. Of course it can't be frost early or anything.

This year my douglahs actually were the first to fill a 1 gallon freezer bag.. that happened yesterday.  Behind the douglahs are the brainstrains... then ButchTs, then Primos, then Yellow 7s, then Reapers for the super-hots.

The heaviest producing regular hot peppers are the pineapple ajis, aji chombos, red savina habs, and my own mystery cross.

I should note that I didnt end up having any healthy red or orange bhut plants this season... or i am sure they would have been right up there.

Thanks guys.  I'm planning on starting seeds in December to put out in early may.  Hopefully they will be at least a foot by then.  I plan on having them in big air pots that I'll be making this winter(I have free fabric and sewing machines, I do paraloft ;) ), and doing all organic soils and ferts to grow them as well as possible for the climate.  I'm thinking a few red varieties of 7 pots(brainstrain, primo)  and some Bhuts. Maybe try a few scorpion varieties. 

Beerswimmer said:
Thanks guys.  I'm planning on starting seeds in December to put out in early may.  Hopefully they will be at least a foot by then.  I plan on having them in big air pots that I'll be making this winter(I have free fabric and sewing machines, I do paraloft ;) ), and doing all organic soils and ferts to grow them as well as possible for the climate.  I'm thinking a few red varieties of 7 pots(brainstrain, primo)  and some Bhuts. Maybe try a few scorpion varieties. 

I used Air Pots and Smart Pots last year and I would never repeat. They're fine for outdoors but the problem is that the water ends up running to the sides and pouring out. The only way around it is to keep breaking up the soil and water very, very slowly. My plants suffered a bit due to inadequate watering and the tons of water always ended up on the floor.

I'd strongly recommend conventional pots (or buckets) for indoor growing.

They'll be in little plastic pots while indoors, will be re-potting into the large fabric pots in Spring when it's warm enough.

Have you considered overwintering?

Edit: just re-read that, I see you plan on overwintering some of them, they should produce heavier next season.

My first year with super hots, the Dorset Nagas and been quickest to ripen and heaviest producer -especially one that looks to have been crossed the a bhut.

Being the quickest isn't too important, but it's always nice to be able to eat some soon than later!  Having a big plant with a big yield is more important.  Seeing my poor wife put in the hours and her tomato plants only putting out a few fruits per plant(heirlooms from a friend) was tough, I don't want that to happen with peppers anymore.  Big yields only!!!

Back