Hello - Anyone have any info on a good PH meter for sauce making?

I am looking for a good PH meter for jarring BBQ Sauces etc, 1 that does temp ect. There are so many with good an bad reviews and need a good one that needs to be accurate. This is my first post and love this site for great and excellent info and have enjoyed reading some of them, I have tons of questions just didnt know where to start as I am in need of a good one  TY

DatilDew said:
I am looking for a good PH meter for jarring BBQ Sauces etc, 1 that does temp ect. There are so many with good an bad reviews and need a good one that needs to be accurate. This is my first post and love this site for great and excellent info and have enjoyed reading some of them, I have tons of questions just didnt know where to start as I am in need of a good one  TY
Simple Search turned up:

pH Meter & Thermometer
Recommend a PH meter?
Can you recommend pH meter?
need a good cheap pH meter and other questions
PH meter?

Hope This Helps!

Reactions: Bou
There's actually a different one I usually recommend I have to find it. 

Okay cool it happens to be the second one i posted above ;)

If you want to test while it's cooking you have to get one that will read at that temperature. If you let it cool to 140° the first one I posted works.

The Hot Pepper said:
Neither of the ones posted are good for simmering or boiling sauce.
The Hanna:
Temperature Range -5.0 to 60.0°C / 23.0 to 140.0°F
and the Amazon one:
122F
You'll need a food grade meter for that like this: https://www.hannainst.com/hi99161-haccp-ph-meter-for-food-and-dairy.html
Temperature Range -5.0 to 105.0 °C/23.0 to 221.0 °F
(And not all food meters go that high, it just means it is made for food. Food-safe plastics, etc.)

If it says it's for ponds and aquariums, that's usually what it's for. But you can let a sample cool off and measure it but check if the probe is food-safe.

SnorkY2K said:
have you considered using a litmus paper? I am not sure what the sauce would do to probe over time. But, with paper, just put a drop on it.
Ty Snorky2k I tried the strips but as I am making tons of different products and some thicker than others that I  cant see the strip like the BBQ sauces and mustards etc. Maybe I'm doing it wrong  I'm trying to find one that will work well with BBQ as well as spicy jams. Sorry I know there have been quite a few posts on meters with temps but I have searched those as well and they really don't give a great description on say commercial cooking needs - 

The Hot Pepper said:
Okay cool it happens to be the second one i posted above ;)

If you want to test while it's cooking you have to get one that will read at that temperature. If you let it cool to 140° the first one I posted works.

Ty Hot Pepper   Wow thats a nice one but quite pricey   $400 + Have you used this one? If so how well does it work? 

Have not. What is your budget?

Here's what to look for:

Automatic temperature compensation/Calibration buffer sensing
A resolution of at least .1 (For example your meter would read 4.7 instead of 4.79, that would be .01 resolution.)
High accuracy (.02 is very precise, .1 means you could be off by .1. When dealing with acified foods you really want the most accurate.)
High temperature (Some only got up to 120°. The higher the better for cooking.)
Detachable probe

The Hot Pepper said:
You'd be surprised how many people buy the cheap yellow pH meter and don't know it doesn't work with hot liquids so their readings are off. 

Anyway, I googled this one for you:

https://www.thermoworks.com/Precision-pH-Kit-8100
The Hot Pepper,   Thank you , You are the best!!  and yes your right  you get what you pay for and since my biz is growing fast, Im going to need a good one to last and to be accurate. This is what I needed.   Thank You !!  

DatilDew said:
The Hot Pepper,   Thank you , You are the best!!  and yes your right  you get what you pay for and since my biz is growing fast, Im going to need a good one to last and to be accurate. This is what I needed.   Thank You !!  

I also noticed there's a 10% off coupon pop-up :D

I recently bought
Horiba LAWUAtwin compact pH meter
LAQUAtwin-pH-33

Haven't used it yet. Features that appealed to me were-
Don't need to keep probe in buffer solution
If using every day don't need to calibrate every day
Can calibrate right before using
Replaceable probe
Can use with heated samples
Simple to use and clean with the spoon shaped sample site.

salsalady said:
I recently bought
Horiba LAWUAtwin compact pH meter
LAQUAtwin-pH-33

Haven't used it yet. Features that appealed to me were-
Don't need to keep probe in buffer solution
If using every day don't need to calibrate every day
Can calibrate right before using
Replaceable probe
Can use with heated samples
Simple to use and clean with the spoon shaped sample site.
Salsalady, Thank you so much. I am defiantly looking into everything everyone has sent to me. Its hard to decide, you want to make sure it gives accurate readings forsure, and lasts  
What other ones have you tryed? Making salsa i take it and with tomatoes you really need to make sure its right, thats why Im holding off on my salsa at the moment, I tryed the strips, there ok as well as other ph testers that work great on for my pepper growing but I bought 1 of those for my sauces and just dont trust it as it says nothing about food products, 

The Hot Pepper said:

I also noticed there's a 10% off coupon pop-up :D
WoooHooo Im going to keep opening there page because I didnt get one yet  LOL  I have it in my basket hoping they will say....... Did you forget something and send me a deal hahahaha 

Back