Hello from frozen Montreal

Hi everyone!

I'm new and am freezing my a** off in Montreal, Canada. So your forum should give me a little warmth to survive the rest of the shitty Canadian winter.

I have a question for you experts: do you think it's possible for me to grow any kind of EXTRA HOT PEPPERS (habaneros, Bhut and the kind) with the 2 to 3 months of hot weather we might have here during our short summers?

Many thanks!

Welcome from Sweden!

Yes, if I can do it north of the arctic circle so can you. You should start the seeds early though - like now or a couple of weeks ago. ;)

Hi there and Welcome from Ontario.

Its currently -22 here with the windchill and snow squalls......come on Spring!!

Sure you can, are you planning on starting them from seeds?
I grew 1 of the ones you mentioned and all did well for me, but they were also grown from seed.

This year i am adding Bhut's to my peppers too.

Welcome neighbour. Get your seeds started early and consider some sort of temporary shelter/greenhouse or you can just bring plants in and out on nice spring days

Penny said:
Alot have come from here actually, some i have bought online.

I was browsing but most of the sites I found were international sites. Do you know any Canadian online store selling seeds?

Sorry i dont, but at the bottom of the main page, there is the Marketplace, and if you have a list and a few things you are looking for, post it and see what happens.

You never know, everyone here is great about sharing, and you can get started with some.

knml911 said:
I was browsing but most of the sites I found were international sites. Do you know any Canadian online store selling seeds?

sargentpeppers.ca in Ontario hasn't updated their site since 2008, but I get a lot of seeds from them each year still. Just received about 7 or 8 kinds from them for this year. They keep saying that their new site will up and running anytime, but still nothing yet. Their seeds and service have been great for me.

I also agree with above comments, that super hot peppers, especially for a new grower should get them started, like now!

I started in March last year with Habaneros and got a bunch but definitely ran out of time on 90% of them...could have used the extra month or two head start.

Ballzworth said:
sargentpeppers.ca in Ontario hasn't updated their site since 2008, but I get a lot of seeds from them each year still. Just received about 7 or 8 kinds from them for this year. They keep saying that their new site will up and running anytime, but still nothing yet. Their seeds and service have been great for me.

I also agree with above comments, that super hot peppers, especially for a new grower should get them started, like now!

I started in March last year with Habaneros and got a bunch but definitely ran out of time on 90% of them...could have used the extra month or two head start.

Many thanks, I guess I will start slowly this year since I am not particularly talented for growing stuff (my friends said so so I believe them!). I will start with the kind I can find at the flower markets here and see if I'll be able to do better!

www.stokeseeds.com is a good seed company in Ontario but they don't have a lot of super-hots that are so popular on the forums these days, they specialize more in early producing varieties for Canadian growers and they have a lot of hybrids.

A good U.S. site which I recommend is http://www.tomatogrowers.com and I've never had any shipping issues or any problems whatsoever

Back