Hello from Middle Tennessee

Hello and welcome! What varieties did you grow last year?
Red Ghosts, Red Habs, Cayennes, and Thai. My local nursery had a pretty limited selection. I plan to start from seed this year but it's a bit intimidating trying to figure everything out. Really looking forward to trying to grow some wild peppers I picked at my GF's village in Southern Thailand though. I'm a bit afraid I will mess it up though.

Red Ghosts, Red Habs, Cayennes, and Thai. My local nursery had a pretty limited selection. I plan to start from seed this year but it's a bit intimidating trying to figure everything out. Really looking forward to trying to grow some wild peppers I picked at my GF's village in Southern Thailand though. I'm a bit afraid I will mess it up though.
That is a great first year! Seeds are really cheap to order, you can play around and learn what works for your style. First I soak the seeds in 1.5% H2O2 for about 15-20 min then move overnight to cups of spring water (I have hard mtn water) for about 24 hours to soak. I use a germination heating mat, with a tray. I put a moist paper towel (coffee filter works too, my seeds never have time to grow into the towel) inside of little tupperware containers and keep them damp sponge level moist sitting on the heating tray. Once they start to germinate, I move them into little starter "Rapid Rooter" peat type cubes and cover with a humidity dome on the tray on the heating mat. I will germinate 10 seeds and take the first 5 that crack to plant and toss the remaining seeds. I grow indoors so I usually needed only a few of each strain. There are lots of guides you can take a look at and modify to fit your environment.

Or, you can get some cups of dirt, throw the seeds in them, keep them moist and warm, and separate the babies when they sprout. Don't overthink it too much, we are just mimicking what nature designed them to do :)

Last edited:
Back