Hello from Oklahoma

scoville said:
Welcome from a former Okie now smokin'up the sunshine state!

The wiser ones, we are.
MHD, I got up this morning and didn't have to shovel my driveway or scrape the windows. Are you still in the valley or are you back home in Stillwater?

StoneySauce said:
The wiser ones, we are.
MHD, I got up this morning and didn't have to shovel my driveway or scrape the windows. Are you still in the valley or are you back home in Stillwater?

Broken Arrow (Southeastern side of Tulsa), and extremely happy to have seasons again (I'm sure that will wear off soon enough!). But more happy to be where I can afford a house with enough room to build a smoker and grow a garden, rather than a dinky little overpriced apartment. :D

We actually roadtripped to Stillwater Wednesday night to see the Pokes play Mercer. The ice melted off the roads just in time... I do love that town, although it's changed a lot just in the 8 years since I lived there, Eskimo Joe's remains the same.

scoville said:
Welcome from a former Okie now smokin'up the sunshine state!

What part of OK did you live? You have any BBQ joints, hot wing joints, or any other types of places like that you'd recommend from your days in OK? I'm trying to hit as many of the "best" BBQ in the Tulsa area as I can, and the rest of the state if I'm in the area of a place I wanna try. I guess I should post my recommendations just in case any members happen to get stuck driving through this state.

I grew up in Stillwater,back in 60's.Have family in Perry,Enid,Ponca,And parents near Blackwell (retired,HA!)farming Wheat and Angus.I haven't been back to Stillwater for like 20 years.Great place to be a kid tho!Was no Eskimo joes when I lived there but I had my coffee in a Joes cup this mornin',Kinda funny!As far as smokin'meat,Oklahoma joes was making smokers out of well pipe in Perry,I don't know if they still are but I see a lot of knock offs around.Cookshack is in Ponca City just down the road from my parents.Their forum is where I learned to pefect my Q.
Head Country is pretty good Q in Ponca City.I use their rub when I'm to lazy to make my own.Its been a long time since I've been in Galligher Hall and Cowboy Stadium.Go Cowboys!NOT THE IRVING COWBOYS!

Well, now it's Eddie Sutton Court at Galligher-Iba Arena and Boone Pickens stadium. I've been to both now this year, and both have changed tremendously even since 2000 when I graduated. The football stadium especially is almost unrecognizable.

Oklahoma Joes used to have a BBQ restaurant on the strip in Stillwater where they also sold smokers. They shut it down sometime in the late '90's. It may just be nostalgia talking here, but they had the best ribs and the best pulled pork. On Thursday's they had a buy-one, get-one-free special on their sandwiches, so you could get two pulled pork sandwiches and two ICE cold Budweisers for something like $5.25.

My favorite BBQ joint now is Elmer's down in Brookside in Tulsa, but there are several in the Tulsa area alone that serve better ribs than anywhere else I've had them (that includes Rendezvous and Corky's in Memphis).

Back