Hello From Orlando - Another Florida Grower

Hello from sunny Orlando, FL USA.  I've been growing chili peppers now for the last 3 years but this is the first year I would be able to say that I'm truly immersed in the hobby.  I bought a house in 2008 and after my first year there converted a portion of the back yard into a garden space.  Last year I took up the challenge of growing Bhut Jolokias and I had a surprising amount of success having never previously grown a superhot before.

This year I'm taking it to the next level.

I had done my research last year on germinating bhuts and I ended up building a DIY artificial lighting rig.

30k4ojr.jpg

This year, I partially deconstructed that rig and expanded it to have a bi-level setup, two additional T8 fluorescent fixtures and casters for easier mobility.

157bwk.jpg

My grow list for this year includes:
  • Tabasco (they survived the winter here in Orlando, FL) (1)
  • Red Cayenne (another winter survivor) (1)
  • White Lightning Habaneros (overwintered) (2)
  • Bhut Jolokia (some overwintered, some fresh starts) (5)
  • Golden Cayenne (15)
  • Trinidad Scorpion (15)
  • Cowhorn Peppers
  • Purple Jalapenos (15)
  • NuMex Big Jim Jalapenos (10)
  • Jalapenos (non-GMO organic "regulars") (20)
In addition to the above I'm growing 3 different varieties of heirloom tomatoes: Indigo Rose, Fiaschetto di Mond, Pineapple as well as a few Lemon Boy and Early Girl variants.

I experimented with different starter media last year and my best success was seedling starter mix in 1" peat trays on germination heat mats.  I've tried peat pellets and I just never can seem to find that happy place with moisture balance; either they are sopping wet or too dry.

I germinate everything on an enclosed sunroom porch that gets Eastern sun in the morning and stays warm all day, it is a non-conditioned space.   I've built raised beds from landscape timbers in the back.

This will be my first season as a member of thehotpepper even though I've been lurking and reading now for about a year.  Thanks for all of the great information so far and I hope to be a contributing member!

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida! Nice setup! :woohoo:

inx1ye.jpg

This is the "main" garden bed which has been doubled in size for this year, expanded towards the rear.  I've also got a few smaller beds off the patio and in the front yard to give the superhots some separation.

¡Hola! and welcome from south FL [SIZE=8pt]
880smile-1.png
[/SIZE]

Have you seen the glog forum, your pics would make a good start there ...

[SIZE=12pt] :welcome:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]to THP & Greetings from the Metrolina of North Carolina ![/SIZE]

Back