Hello from the Orlando area

Hello
I want to introduce myself, my name is Aaron and I am from the Orlando area of Central Florida. Like many here I am a big fan of hot peppers and the sauces created from them. I can take it pretty hot, although the newest superhots are a bit much for me to eat raw. I have been growing hot peppers for quite a few years, as I am 36 years old. I grow 100% naturally, without the use of any chemical ferts, or pesticides, and I have had the best results this way, most noticable being flavor. I don't knock those who use chems., and believe in treating people with respect. I am from the old school in many ways. 

I love the flavors of the Habs, Scotch Bonnets, Naga Morich and several seasoning peppers, among others. I am always on the look out for new types, but flavor is most important to me. I have noticed that there are quite a few peppers that look different, have different colors but basically taste the same, so I am always looking for unique distinct flavor that sets them apart from the rest. I like mainly the very hot ones like I mentioned, but heat wise I cannot take much more than the Naga Morich, which seemed to be less hot than the other Naga and Bhut types.

My soil mix that I have great success with is mushroom compost/chicken manure/sand/top soil. I add a natural mineral mix, along with added sulphur, epsom salts and bio char and sometimes add ground egg shells. Noticed quite a difference when adding the additional epsom salts for magnesium. It really helps to green up the leaves, and corrects yellowing of the leaves in most cases. This mix is very clean because of the mushroom compost. Mushrooms pull toxins like heavy metals and chemicals and even radioactive elements from the soil, and concentrate them in their fruiting bodies. Due to this trait in mushrooms, it makes for a desirable addition to soils. In fact this trait has been the focus of several studies recently. I like to add some beneficial bacteria and fungi to the soil as well to further promote soil that is relatively free from harmful elements.

I look forward to having some great discussions about hot peppers and the art of growing them.

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida! :woohoo:

KingLeerUK, I lived in Winter Springs for almost 15 years before moving to Casselberry. I am in the Deer Run area.​
Thanks to everyone who welcomed me :)

Back