Hello

Hello, I'm a indoor chili/basil grower for about 2.5 years now, mostly for bird eye chili as i love asian food and during the covid pandemy it was hard to get any proper chilies and basil, or proper basil in general is hard to get unless i go to the city which is about 4 hours away.

i live in Norway, in a very cold place so even in the summer i wouldnt trust the weather 100% to take it out.

i have a room made into a grow room and a grow tent that i feel is useless either way, but i bough it to try to save heat during winter.

I'm interested in cross pollination of chili and want to try to make my own variant of a chili.

So the reason i came to this forum is because i struggle with understanding why my Carolina reaper plant wont produce any fruit, i can't find any answers when i google, i dont think its lack of fertilizer and such as i use tomato fertilizer time to time and chili fertilizer. It's like the carolina reaper plant doesn't produce any pollen or the stem where pollen gets attached to create a fruit wont appear its like its only producing sterile flowers. It's not overwatering or underwatering.

i have temperature controllers that switch on heat if the temperature drops below 22C in the soil of the chili so the temperature always stays above 22C and usually around 24-28C on daytime, a bit less during night.
The timers for the light is 16 hours on and 8 hours off.
i have humidy meters and its usually around 50% depending on weather outside as my ventilation to the room is kinda connected directly to the outside.

atm i have 4 bird eye chili plants, 1 Carolina reaper plant and 1 very weak chili plant im not sure of the english name, about 10 basil plants. the Bird eye chili and the weaker chili grows and give me alot of fruit. But the Carolina reaper dont want to give me any fruits or allow me to polinate them. the flower just dries out eventually. i want to cross pollinate all these 3 chilies together once ive managed to get fruits of them all
IMG_3494.JPG
IMG_3495.JPG
IMG_3354.JPG
IMG_3356.JPG

:welcome: from South Africa. One thing I don't see in your pics is a fan. Without bees, either air movement or some other pollination method is needed. I've noticed with my only chinense, the bees don't visit at all or maybe I just don't see them as often since the flowers are light green & not white like all the others I have growing.

:welcome: from South Africa. One thing I don't see in your pics is a fan. Without bees, either air movement or some other pollination method is needed. I've noticed with my only chinense, the bees don't visit at all or maybe I just don't see them as often since the flowers are light green & not white like all the others I have growing.
i self polinate them using a qtip and sometimes a electric toothbrush, it takes some time but if its something i have its time.

i used to have 2 fans in the tent, but i was told on another forum that is not 100% dedicated to chili growing that chilis didnt like a cold fan blowing on them, same with the other issue i have about the carolina reaper, everything they said theyre and ive done, the carolina reaper still dont want to fruit. so i was thinking il try a more forum dedicated to only chilis.

the issue with carolina reaper i have is this as picture below, it doesnt produce any pollen or that stem that we put pollen on, like my other chilies does. its been growing nice and healthy but wont produce fruit even if i try to polinate it.

Here is some newer pictures of my bird eye chilies and the weaker chili in norway we call it Tapas chili, the picture earlier was a old one, as the lamps were of then. if you can see, all my other chilies produces polen and stem to put pollen on, but the carolina reaper on first picture wont.

Attachments

• IMG_3497.JPG
    IMG_3497.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3498.JPG
    IMG_3498.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3499.JPG
    IMG_3499.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3502.JPG
    IMG_3502.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3504.JPG
    IMG_3504.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3505.JPG
    IMG_3505.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3507.JPG
    IMG_3507.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
:welcome: From the Pacific NorthWest, USA!

i self polinate them using a qtip and sometimes a electric toothbrush, it takes some time but if its something i have its time.

i used to have 2 fans in the tent, but i was told on another forum that is not 100% dedicated to chili growing that chilis didnt like a cold fan blowing on them, same with the other issue i have about the carolina reaper, everything they said theyre and ive done, the carolina reaper still dont want to fruit. so i was thinking il try a more forum dedicated to only chilis.

the issue with carolina reaper i have is this as picture below, it doesnt produce any pollen or that stem that we put pollen on, like my other chilies does. its been growing nice and healthy but wont produce fruit even if i try to polinate it.

Here is some newer pictures of my bird eye chilies and the weaker chili in norway we call it Tapas chili, the picture earlier was a old one, as the lamps were of then. if you can see, all my other chilies produces polen and stem to put pollen on, but the carolina reaper on first picture wont.
I hope you're not being too gentle. lol. I finally got my Chinense to produce 3 pods. I've noticed the style is shorter than the stamen, so I stuck a finger in a few open flowers & gave it a light rub.

I hope you're not being too gentle. lol. I finally got my Chinense to produce 3 pods. I've noticed the style is shorter than the stamen, so I stuck a finger in a few open flowers & gave it a light rub.
i can try to push it harder, but i think im pushing it hard enough, sometimes the flower and the rest where flower is on have been falling off when i try to rub it. i guess i could get an magnifying glass and see if i can see the pollen stigma but what worries me is this, but i cant find much more research about this and how to fix it.

:welcome:

Back