• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Helmet Heads

filmost said:
You guys make it too complicated. If you catch it early (and you should), then just top it off with more soil and it'll work it's way out. That's what I always do with mine and it works a charm.
Most of mine take advantage of the fact I work and hook and pop while I am away.

filmost said:
You guys make it too complicated. If you catch it early (and you should), then just top it off with more soil and it'll work it's way out. That's what I always do with mine and it works a charm.

Exactly^^..I just push em over and put a lil more DRY dirt on em,,,if your soil is too moist you will get helmets,,they need some friction,,think of a snake shedding its skin

Kevin

moruga welder said:
i very carefully use real sharp finger nail clippers , using left hand to gently prop against plant and snip the very edge ( rim ) and i can get enough to where i can gently remove it . i have cut edges off leaf before , but never killed the plants .    :onfire:

I just used this technique on a seedling last night. I trimmed away about 3/4 of the way around the seed coat and let it sit overnight. When I checked this morning, the cotyledons had managed to pry the seed coat open a bit - just enough to get a fingernail in there and pop it the rest of the way off.
     And that was it. It worked beautifully. Not a scratch on either cotyledon and now they're both spread out, basking in the sunlight. Thanks, man!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I just used this technique on a seedling last night. I trimmed away about 3/4 of the way around the seed coat and let it sit overnight. When I checked this morning, the cotyledons had managed to pry the seed coat open a bit - just enough to get a fingernail in there and pop it the rest of the way off.
     And that was it. It worked beautifully. Not a scratch on either cotyledon and now they're both spread out, basking in the sunlight. Thanks, man!
glad to hear my friend !  it works for me when i do get a few helmet heads , even snipped edge of leaves but it never hurt them , they grew just fine . their pretty tough . so what strain was the recipient of the helmet surgery ?     :onfire:

CAPCOM said:
Most of mine take advantage of the fact I work and hook and pop while I am away.

As do mine :-D.  I get to see them for maybe 30 min right before time to crash for the next days grind, enough to make sure the soil is moist and to top off with extra soil if need be.

I should say I normally only top them off with extra soil if I happen to have room in the pot, otherwise just have to let them go and see how things turn out.

filmost said:

As do mine :-D.  I get to see them for maybe 30 min right before time to crash for the next days grind, enough to make sure the soil is moist and to top off with extra soil if need be.

I should say I normally only top them off with extra soil if I happen to have room in the pot, otherwise just have to let them go and see how things turn out.
I havent had any this year yet. Using root riots and maybe it has something to do with it maybe not.

I havent had any this year yet. Using root riots and maybe it has something to do with it maybe not.

Oh yeah I remember you mentioned picking those up. I guess they have been working very well then? Worth the investment?

filmost said:
Oh yeah I remember you mentioned picking those up. I guess they have been working very well then? Worth the investment?
They seem to be working better than filling cups with seed starting mix. They are definitely neater to use. No fuss no muss.
But the cost. I suppose I could justify the cost if I sell pods and seeds this fall or plants this spring. Then I think they would be worth it.

Reviving this thread again?

Yeah, again.

All the talk about helmet heads and pepper surgery conjurers up some graphic images of blood and guts I'm sure. So allow me to offer a non surgical non invasive alternative to helmet head removal. I call it cap da vinci.

Deployment
20150311_234224.jpg

procedure
20150312_165839.jpg

recovery
20150312_172230.jpg

Be patient for at least a few days.  Once they get to the point that you can see actual leaf tissue, the vast majority will continue to grow out of the case w/o any 'help' at all.  

Even a 'stuck' seedling can make it.  Give them light and hope the plant develops some green on the stem beneath the helmet.  If so, it can photosynthesize enough energy to keep going indefinitely, and will eventually take off.

Back