• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help, 5 -6 plants died

Temperature... :(  sorry about that completely left that important detail out of the novel I wrote. I've baked soil at around 160F which is what I probably get with solarization under clear plastic in full Florida sun to burn off seeds and neamatodes. PASTEURIZATION is a much better word..read over the thread Noah linked. It's great information. I did not know about toxicity at the temperatures listed and would have thought them to be much higher in order to run into stuff like that. But you know, when it comes down to it, we should consider every possible thing organic/inorganic substance that may have ended up in our potting soil. Obviously, soil in which a scheduled pest management system that has been implemented for years is going to be a bad idea to "burn off" at any temperature, especially indoors without proper ventilation systems. And I say "obviously"; however, this really the first time I've ever given THAT much thought about the soil that is "out there" and all the bad stuff that can end up trapped in it. We've got so much going these days with big agriculture turning our world upside down that we have to be PROACTIVE and look out for each other. And, that is exactly what our friend Noah did without reservation - thank you! This forum rocks. Well looks like I've clicked around too much and don't have time to water the plants. They are going to be screaming bloody murder when I get in from work tomorrow but, they'll survive!! Hey "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"... :) especially true for these rare BEASTS we enjoy!!

Wow awesome answers!!!
bout root rot, you where on spot. When I dug it out of the pot there were larvas, the soil was all moist and screwed up. That much for premade potting mix that where supposed to be sooooo good. Ill keep doing my own mixes. Almost no roots left on that one. Cleaned them off an planted it in my own mix. I wont do much more for that plant. The others who where affected of that fungus thing is going strong. But I guess I need to get to the pharmacy or something to get that hydrogen peroxide

I just mix up my frets in a shallow Rubbermaid tub and set the plants in it. When the top soil starts getting moist looking take it out and on to the next. You can also use those trays pots sit in.

Back