• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Help choosing grow light

I'm excited to start my first growing season and had some questions about grow lights. I'm in Toronto in what I think is zone 6b and have some C. annum (calabrian and ancho peppers) and C. baccatum (aji ahuachapáu peppers) seeds that I want to start asap which means I'd need a grow-light that would ideally be able to handle flowering plants. I have a budget of 50$ CAD and was wondering if this one looks like it could be useful (I know AliExpress isn't always the best but the reviews seem pretty good) It'd be the 3rd option, the QBX650Pro:

If it can't are there any options within my budget?

Since it'd arrive mid February I was also wondering if I could use an aquarium light to take the seedlings til then?

It'd be this one: https://www.amazon.ca/NICREW-ClassicLED-Aquarium-Spectrum-Freshwater/dp/B07F6XD2FH/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3N1ZQGJ3B4EHV&keywords=nicrew+aquarium+light+36"&qid=1673999871&sprefix=nicrew+aquarium+light+36+,aps,118&sr=8-7&th=1

Thanks for any help can't wait to start!

Last edited:
How many total plants will you be raising? This will establish your lighting footprint requirement.
Ideally 5-7. Is there some sort of middle ground where the plants can get enough light to live and grow but not enough to develop fruit? I could push up my budget to 75$ but doesn't seem like it'd make much of a difference.

this is the one i bought last year, as i wanted the highest intensity light for the lowest price. unfortunately right now it's $90 so quite out of your budget. but when i bought it it was on sale for $55, so i would suggest to just scour the amazon (or elsewhere) results and choose the best combo of strongest output and biggest discount (and shortest delivery time if you are in a hurry; i should mention i have amazon prime so that helped me with shipping time and cost).

also of note was that i was able to put 50+ plants in 4" pots under it with decent coverage, so that is also something to consider if you think you'll be likely to scale up your grows in the years ahead.

Last edited:
this is the one i bought last year, as i wanted the highest intensity light for the lowest price. unfortunately right now it's $90 so quite out of your budget. but when i bought it it was on sale for $55, so i would suggest to just scour the amazon (or elsewhere) results and choose the best combo of strongest output and biggest discount (and shortest delivery time if you are in a hurry; i should mention i have amazon prime so that helped me with shipping time and cost).

also of note was that i was able to put 50+ plants in 4" pots under it with decent coverage, so that is also something to consider if you think you'll be likely to scale up your grows in the years ahead.
Ok thanks that puts things in perspective for me. I found someone selling this one brand new for 50$ on Kijiji:

https://www.amazon.ca/Likesuns-2000...N1HD/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

I doubt it'll actually be 2000 w but the reviews for it and the 1000 w one on amazon look pretty good.

One comment. In addition to grow lights, I have read multiple comments about not getting peppers to germinate without a warming mat.

Absolutely, makes a BIG difference! I wouldn't start without them.
I do have a warming mat it's not the fanciest as it doesn't have a probe but I think it's supposed to heat up around 5° C above the ambient temperature and it is noticeably warm.

I do have a warming mat it's not the fanciest as it doesn't have a probe but I think it's supposed to heat up around 5° C above the ambient temperature and it is noticeably warm.
Be sure to measure the temperature it reaches as some get way too hot (you don't wan't to cook your seeds...)

It can be hit and miss with those cheap Chinese lights on Amazon

Ok thanks that puts things in perspective for me. I found someone selling this one brand new for 50$ on Kijiji:

I doubt it'll actually be 2000 w but the reviews for it and the 1000 w one on amazon look pretty good.

Yes. LM301B/H are the best. It can be even too powerful  We have discussed this with Finnish guys in discord.

Yes. LM301B/H are the best. It can be even too powerful  We have discussed this with Finnish guys in discord.

Do you hav?

De a link

o

Be sure to measure the temperature it reaches as some get way too hot (you don't wan't to cook your seeds...)

Did you get ur purchase? I recommend Samsung LM301B/H grow lights, depending on your budget. They are one of the best lights and reasonable priced.

Yes. LM301B/H are the best. It can be even too powerful :) We have discussed this with Finnish guys in discord.

Back