• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help diagnosing problems (e.g. "What sorcery is this?!?!")

Hey all,

I recently (way later than I'd planned) finished my deer-proof growing enclosure.  I transferred my 70+ plants into it about two weeks ago, right before taking the family on vacation.  We were gone for a week (I did have somebody watering my plants), and when I returned on Sunday, I noticed that a small percentage of my plants had developed . . . weirdness.

Some of them had new top leaves that looked almost spike-like:  long, thing, and curled.

Spikes_1.jpg

Spikes_2.jpg

Scraggly.jpg

Others had topmost leaves that had filled out, but were thin, veined and parchmentlike, looking just generally tissue thin and unhealthy

Papery_1.jpg

Papery_2.jpg

Oddest of all, the tops of three of them had stunted new growth, and holes in the leaves.  I suspected bugs, but when I looked closely, I realized the holes hadn't been eaten, but rather looked like spots had dried out to the point of tearing, with the edges of the tears curled under and pulling away, making a hole.

Holes.jpg

I suspected my old and bitter nemesis, aphids, but I couldn't find a single one. I'd think if it was an infestation bad enough to damage plants like that, they'd both be visible AND be on the other plants, but no.  I couldn't find ANY type of insect pest, actually, nor obvious mold, fungus, or other crud.  And the vast majority of the plants are healthy and hale, with no leaf deformation or damage of any kind.  Many are blooming, and some have fruit already.  Plants with damage are right next to plants with no issues at all, and the damaged ones are scattered about, not localized in one area (the enclosure is 10' x 20').

So . . .what gives?  Anybody have any idea what I'm looking at?  More importantly, what do I do about it?

Thanks in advance for the advice,
-Ron

Where were the plants before you put them in the fenced area? Indoors?

It looks like sunburn.

The holes in the leaves are from buck spit.

Thanks for the suggestions - I appreciate it!

I did not give them any nutrients before I left - I kinda figured I didn't want to change up too many things at once.  Perhaps a bad decision.  I'll CalMag 'em tomorrow.

I sprayed them for aphids this evening just in case, so hopefully if it was mites that'll put an end to that. I'll throw a leaf or three under the microscope tomorrow and take a look.

Prior to the move, they were on the front deck, so the sun didn't change that much.  The house shielded them from morning sun on the deck, but they got full sun in the late afternoon; the enclosure is in the back drainage field (I live on a wooded mountain, and that is the only clear spot), so they get morning sun now, with decent shade from the surrounding 90-ft+ trees giving a nice diffused light in the afternoon.  Long-story-short, sun exposure didn't change by much overall, although the pattern did a bit.  I kind of ruled out sun-scald, because the plants next to the damaged ones were fine, and they all made the change together.  Could be some were more fragile, though?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "buck spit"?

This is a pretty frequent topic. It's an environmentally induced issue - most likely related to the weather. Look at the weather almanac, and see what happened. Torrential rains? Freak cold spell? Sudden rise in temps?

This is a recurring topic for outdoor growers. Happens to so many of us, across so many different types of growing climates, and it's sure to occur every single year.

One of my new roses did this earlier this year...Really looked like herbicide exposure.
-
Wasn't sure, didn't want to chop it so I watered the bejesus out of it to attempt an in-ground flush and cut off the funky growth....It worked, new growth started to look good and now its thriving.

Kikaida said:
One of my new roses did this earlier this year...Really looked like herbicide exposure.
-
Wasn't sure, didn't want to chop it so I watered the bejesus out of it to attempt an in-ground flush and cut off the funky growth....It worked, new growth started to look good and now its thriving.
The person who confirmed my mites, swore I had herbicide damage(I topped a pepper and took it to him since the whole top was ravaged,) but under microscope(80x) review, he found my mites.

I'm no expert, but it looks like mites, mine had suffered that and after an application of neem oil and a stunt plant for 2 weeks, it started growing a couple of days after the application and the new leaves look good.

Back