• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Help Germinating....

this is how I start my seeds...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/AlabamaJacks-Exotic-Superhots-LLC/140543919334127?ref=ts#!/topic.php?uid=140543919334127&topic=82

this is how I start my seeds...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/AlabamaJacks-Exotic-Superhots-LLC/140543919334127?ref=ts#!/topic.php?uid=140543919334127&topic=82

Almost a year to Germinate ... you are patient ;) :rofl:

I planted 576 seeds on 31 January 2010 for the 2011 season....144 Bhut Jolokia, 144 Trinidad Scorpion, 144 7 Pot/Pod, 72 Fatalii, and 72 Foodarama Scotch Bonnets...

Today, 14 January 2011, I have 379 little seedlings

In all seriousness thats a very good article Bro. Cheers :cheers:

Hey Karl your greenhouse kit will be on it's way tomorrow. I will put in some instructions for germinating as well as how to use the kit properly.
Just one note on using store bought peppers for your seed source. I'm not a 100% sure but with some I think they can actually grow them so that the seeds will be sterile so people dont grow them. I know I had some Jalapenos once from Coles and no matter what I did they wouldn't grow. So just an idea it might be because of that also.

I hope you have some better luck.

Wonderful! Thanks to everybody for their help. More experiments will be done!!
Candice, this could EASILY be the cause for my failed "fool-proof method" attempts. Have you got any further reading on the matter, how it is done and what not, I don't understand how a fruit can be changed so that the seeds are rendered useless, some education would be very happily appreciated.

Saved the page, made a lot of notes, time to start a few experiments. I should have more success after this topic, glad I started it :)

I don't understand how a fruit can be changed so that the seeds are rendered useless, some education would be very happily appreciated.
Crosses will sometimes produce infertile offspring.

This is particularly true when crossing two peppers of different & semi-incompatible species (some pepper species will cross readily with each other, some combinations will cross but typically produce infertile offspring, and some combinations will not cross at all! :cool:)

Also, it is possible to chemically treat a plant to produce offspring with double the normal amount of chromosomes (tetraploid plants). If you cross one of these guys with a normal plant, the offspring will have an odd # of chromosomes (tripoids), which I believe will also render them infertile.

For a seed company that sells to commercial farmers, there is an obvious benefit to creating seeds that produce productive plants, but where saved seeds are either different or non-viable, so that the farmer has to keep buying new seeds from you every year! ;)

i saw this on another chilli forum you might try this wet chamber method?

http://www.chilliforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=52&hilit=chamber&sid=45cffb0513fc68a76295edae41e21c70

:woohoo: :crazy: :dance:

Crosses will sometimes produce infertile offspring.

This is particularly true when crossing two peppers of different & semi-incompatible species (some pepper species will cross readily with each other, some combinations will cross but typically produce infertile offspring, and some combinations will not cross at all! :cool:)

Also, it is possible to chemically treat a plant to produce offspring with double the normal amount of chromosomes (tetraploid plants). If you cross one of these guys with a normal plant, the offspring will have an odd # of chromosomes (tripoids), which I believe will also render them infertile.

For a seed company that sells to commercial farmers, there is an obvious benefit to creating seeds that produce productive plants, but where saved seeds are either different or non-viable, so that the farmer has to keep buying new seeds from you every year! ;)

With the above, that's exactly what I believe may happen.
With large seed companies that sell to farmers they produce F1's to give them better characteristics (big pods, big yields, uniform shape) or also disease resistant varieties and of course they need to continue to sell seeds after the first year, so it makes sense to make sure that they don't produce viable seeds.

Personally I don't like the wet towel in a bag method and remember years ago on here lots of people agreeing that they dont't either but seems there are a lot of people that like it now. I really prefer to have control of the environment with a mini greenhouse with vents and a heat mat plugged into a thermostat under some fluoro grow lights. But each to their own, you can only experiment and see what works best for you and your situation.
Good luck with the next lot.

Like everyone has said some chilli peppers are closely related enough to cross but not closely enough that they will produce viable seed.

If you breed a horse with a donkey you get a mule. Mules can't reproduce.

Did you know that you can cross a female tiger with a male lion, to get a liger ? These things are huge!

Big seed companies engineer seeds that will produce only one crop so you have to keep buying the seed every season. That is a whole other story. It's not a good story either.

That is interesting :)

I have managed to successfully germinate a couple of seeds from the bag method, I am very excited about it, first successful attempt - I guess the temperature is more important than I anticipated.

Not really a fan of this method though, but it is a nice curve to learn from. Thanks to all!

I appreciate all the great suggestions and hints in this thread. I'm hoping my gardening skills will transfer to hot peppers with some help from threads like this. Thanks a lot.

Back