• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help growing peppers in PR - mites?

Hi all,

I'm from New England but spending a year in Puerto Rico. I like spicy food, gardening and biology so I'm trying to take advantage of the climate to grow peppers. I have one or more varieties of each of the 5 major species. I consider myself a decent gardener up North, though I've had limited prior success with pepper plants. I thought the tropics would make things easier, but I've run into a few problems that maybe you could help me with.

First I grew a few "PR hot peppers" (looks like a cayenne-type) and aji dulces from seeds. I had to wait for my final move so the plants were crowded for a few months and there was also an incredible amount of rain during this time which stopped right after moving them to individual pots. All the aji dulces wilted and died. The annuums' new leaves browned and shriveled and the plants were stunted for a time. I thought the combo of root damage from pulling the plants apart, too dense of a new potting soil and the change to sunny and drier weather for a few weeks did them in, though now I'm also wondering if mites were a factor.

After getting settled in my place, and also some experimentation and reading here, I got more consistent germination and growth. Most of my current plants were started this fall and went through a round of transplanting to larger pots which was a success. All the plants looked good until recently when new growth on my fastest plants, a Tabasco and an aji rojo, got crinkled and crispy-looking. The Tabasco's top leaves browned and fell off. The aji rojo's have stayed on and not browned (though a lower leaf infested with thrips larvae fell off, and the upper leaves look worse since spraying with 0.9% neem yesterday). Other affected plants are possibly another baccatum and some newer annuum seedlings (very bad). It seems like the fastest and youngest plants are the ones most affected. The weather pattern again changed as this happened - from rainy to windier, cooler and less humid than I've ever felt it here. I thought that was the direct cause and that the plants were suffering from drying wind damage but my latest guess is broad mites which are increasing due to the weather change. I saw a tiny translucent round bug under a affected leaf today. I've also seen a few white-fuzz-covered black scales(?) and some aphids on various plants but I think neither they nor the thrips are a big deal yet. I have a little 6-2-0 slow release fert mixed in the soil. I fertilize with ~2-2-2 at most waterings and I've used some dilute Epsom spray a few times on the young plants. I usually use bone meal with all my plants, but haven't found it anywhere down here yet - could calcium be an issue in young plants or is it the mites? And what can be done? I have other issues such as new growth dying for a time on larger plants when I repot/move them around (maybe mite as well?) and I'm wondering how much sun and water I should give the plants in a tropical environment.

Here is a pic of the Tabasco (all the crinkled leaves have now fallen off):

TB1.jpg

Here is the aji rojo after spraying with neem:

Ajirojoafterspray.jpg

And here is a possibly affected baccatum (slightly crinkled/scalloped leaves):

Guampinha.jpg

There are also lots of these creepy and fairly large mites living in the soil of a healthy plant's pot (wondering what they are):

Mites.jpg

Thank you!

Yeah, sorry, mate, don't want to be the bearer of bad news but looks like you have broad mite. :(

To confirm this, look very VERY closely around the damaged areas and you should just be able to see extremely tiny white dots that resemble very fine dust.

Unfortunately broad mite is an extreme PITA to deal with. Not only are they highly toxic to plants (a very small number of the little bastages can still cause a great deal of damage) but their all-but-invisible-to-the-naked-eye size makes it extremely difficult to catch infestation/re-infestation at an early stage. By the time you notice the signs (crinkling/curling of the leaves), the mites have already injected their toxin and the damage is done.

My advice is to start with a good, thorough spraying of Sulfur (make sure you get every single little nook and cranny of your plants) and then in a few days spray with something like Neem oil or botanical oils to smother any eggs or any that might have hatched and go from there. It's probably a good idea to snip all damaged growth post Sulfur treatment too to stop the toxin from spreading further through your plants.

I truly wish you the best of luck on this one! (I know the pain of broad mite... I'm currently battling the worst infestation I have seen yet.)

:welcome: from Australia, BTW!

Man those are some nasty looking bugars. Hopefully someone will let you know what they are. They look like ticks to me.

larger bugs have antennae and six legs--insects and not mites or ticks. shape is quite beetle-ish. pretty massive legs as well. I'd like to see one up close!

Thank you all for looking at the bugs and thank you gasificada for your recommendations.

I bought a sulfur/pyrethrin spray (only one I could find) and hit the peppers with it last night. Also separated the worst affected plants from the others. Will spray them all with neem in a few days.

As for the bigger bugs, there are more in other pots. They are large for mites (if that's what they are), but still smaller than a pin head (used macro for the pics). I had thought they were arachnids based on their shape and thinking that they had 8 legs. Ticks did cross my mind based on their shape and how they come out of hiding as if looking for something when I move the pots - maybe some sort of parasitic mite/tick of reptiles? (Tons of lizards around). Anyway, I've posted some more pics and, yeah, they very well could have only 6 legs, so could be insects. Hard to tell with their mouth parts and antennae in the way. I tried to get even clearer/closer pics today, but my camera was acting-up.

IMG_6914.jpg

IMG_6909.jpg

I forgot to warn you too, keep your plants out the sun and heat for a few days after spraying with the Sulfur as it can be quite harsh on your plants. And depending on the strength of the one you got, some damage might ensue anyway. I always feel really bad for putting my plants through it but figure the mites will destroy them anyway if left untreated.

Looking at the close ups, the big buggers do look a lot more like mites now. Wouldn't have a clue what type they are but you never know, they might even be the good guys. ;)

I'm always lucky enough to end up with these guys, Hypoaspis Miles, running around in my soil eating all my fungus gnat larvae...

IMG_0418.jpg

Don't think they are the same as yours though as they are slightly translucent.

Thanks again and not to worry as I knew to be gentle with the plants after spraying. Have already hit some plants with the spray twice and some more neem (which actually seems to hurt the plants more than the sulfur/pyrethrin stuff). Trimmed back the plants and new shoots are coming out even on the Tabasco and aji rojo. Wondering if I can mix the sulfur, neem with some other "eco" spray (assorted plant oils) together to apply once a week or so - maybe I'll dilute it slightly as I'm worried about damaging the new growth. I searched some more online and I think my "big" mites may be another type of Hypoaspis or closely related, so they're probably good guys. Another bit of good news is that I'm trying to get some superhots going before leaving PR next summer (hope have enough time) and my first naga morich has just sprouted after only 6 days! Love the climate for germinating, hope the mites stay away.

Good to hear about the new growth!

I wouldn't mix the sulfur with any oil. I recall reading somewhere that the sulfur can react with certain oils to form phytotoxic compounds.

Just thinking too now that I may have given you some bung advice earlier. For the same reason, it's probably not a good idea to spray sulfur and oils within a short time frame of one another either (due to residue). I've never had a problem doing it myself, but I wouldn't want to hear I may have caused something bad to happen to someone else!

I would also be very careful about spraying too regularly with oils and anything else that leaves a coating on the leaf as I heard it can smother the leaves and prevent them from breathing (don't know the scientific term and all that). Not sure how true this is but at one stage when I was going pretty hard with oils, a lot of my leaves started dropping prematurely. Of course, that may have been the fault of the whiteflies I was battling at the time too. But in any case, I ended up with a very thick coating of oil on my leaves which would not go away and could not be washed off.

Keep us updated!

Here are some more pics showing the recovered peppers and more of what I'm growing. I have been using the sulfur/pyrethrin spray fairly often and am trying to prevent contact between different groups of my plants. Always on the eye for broad mite damage and have gotten a little paranoid when I see an aberrant leaf.

These were the peppers worst affected by the mites at the time of my original post:

IMG_7022.jpg

The large one to the left is the aji rojo and the large one to the right is the Tabasco. The other baccatum I posted earlier is a guampinha de veado and is between them. They only receive afternoon sun and are in a breezy open garage.

Next are most of my chinenses and more Tabascos:

IMG_7028.jpg

1st column on the left has my aji dulce (getting new flower buds that are actually growing and not shriveling-off) and 3 Beni Highlands in front, next are congo reds and then 2 Tabascos on the right. These are in a shelted patio and receive sun/dappled shade from about 10am-3pm.

Here are some annuums:

IMG_7035.jpg

"PR hot" - looks cayenne-ish - on right, then some of my goat's weeds, then 2 Black Hungarians and on the right are some Fresnos that i started more recently. All my annuums have had problems. The Black Hungarians have been both difficult and have had bad luck, such as seed coats being retained or decapitations of the seedlings by some bug (with an amazing recovery by the one pictured in the back). Also, the one in front doesn't have any dark pigment! The Fresnos (I think) are from a fresh supermarket pepper and had great germination and vigorous growth but were hit very badly by the broad mites as young seedlings. The "PR hot" had suffered from mites for months but now is getting new shoots and new buds. The goat's weeds have been the healthiest overall. Grown in the patio.

Here is a mystery pepper from Peppermania:

IMG_7039.jpg

Not sure if it's an annuum or a chinense as the leaves look in-between to me. Maybe something else even. The other mystery pepper I grew looks exactly like the goat's weeds peppers.

Back