• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help Identifying

So I have this pepper that I received and just can't figure out what it is. I have found many pictures that look similar to it but I just can't put my finger on it. If any of you pepper experts out there would be kind enough to take a look and identify this for me, or at least give me an idea, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

unknownpepper.jpg

hi. looks similar to a small chitlepin also known as tepin or birseye, there is so many varietys of this type around the world it would be to hard to distinguish what exact type it is. i bet that tiny pod packs a nice punch though!!!

Here are some pics of Chiltepin I grew last season.

Only one concerning difference: the color of the stem

When immature they tend to be rounder; maturity gives them a point and color

Also a pic of some that are dried.

start out green then to purple black and then red. To many tipen verities out there, it that what this really is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not a botanist

Its whats on the package when I buy the seeds!?

SC

first pic is of a younger plant

Chiltepin003.jpg

Chiltepin001.jpg

Chiltepin002.jpg
unknownpepper.jpg

Dried_Chiltepin.jpg

Here are some pics of Chiltepin I grew last season.

Only one concerning difference: the color of the stem

When immature they tend to be rounder; maturity gives them a point and color

Also a pic of some that are dried.

SC

Chiltepin001.jpg

Chiltepin002.jpg
unknownpepper.jpg

Dried_Chiltepin.jpg

Those don't look like chiltepin to me. AFAIK chiltepin ripen from green to red, are more rounded, smaller, and don't grow in tight clusters like that. The leaves also look like they have a purple tint to them. That looks like a Black Prince type of ornamental to me, but I could be wrong, I'm growing chiltepin for the first time this year.

Those don't look like chiltepin to me. AFAIK chiltepin ripen from green to red, are more rounded, smaller, and don't grow in tight clusters like that. The leaves also look like they have a purple tint to them. That looks like a Black Prince type of ornamental to me, but I could be wrong, I'm growing chiltepin for the first time this year.

Hay Bardsdale:
updated the first post with additional pic of a younger plant would be interested to know what it really is if not a Chiltepin.

Thank for the input. SC

Tepins are round and piquins, their cousin, are small and pointy like what you show.

Tepins are also considerably smaller than what you show.

Back