help in I.D. this caterpillar, UPDATE bird on cam

looks like a common cabbage moth caterpillar but i could be wrong. there are lots of worm and caterpillar juice on the market but most organic way is pull them off and squish them.

i have heard of molasses in water with dish soap is a good natural repellent, i get very few caterpillars and use spray with my tea(made of molasses), perhaps that is why i get so few caterpillars.

good growing and good luck.

gotta be careful with how much molasses you use, I put some on my sprouts and had ants swarming it so I had to use some diatomaceous earth

or else I'd attract aphids too

Same caterpillar that took one night to wreak havoc on my hab plant. Can't id it, it's a common nuisance. I just chuck them in the pool so they can get their fill of chlorine

Yep that's the standard cabbage looper we get round these parts. I use BT to prevent them. I very rarely see them on peppers, they usually stick to my broccoli and cabbages.

That is a melonworm, a moth caterpillar. They usually like to eat curcurbit (squash, cucumbers, etc.) but will eat other plants if they choose to. The strange thing is watermelon consumption is rare. My brother and I had our watermelons destroyed last year by them. They took out our squash and cukes too. We thought they were pickleworms, which I guess are basically the same. But closer inspection proved otherwise they were in fact melonworms.They will burrow into the stems of your plants if they can fit, and eat the foilage too. I suggest BT as soon as possible before your plants are unsalvageable like ours were.

Here is how he and I got rid of them in a post from last season:

Slept in today and woke up around noon. I decided to go check all my plants as I always do everyday or so. I turned the back corner of my house and (gasp!) to my horror, I saw my cucumbers and squash were dead as a doornail, overnight. The watermelon wasnt looking so hot either...
So after closer inspection I saw some holes in my first watermelon ever that I had been daily checking the progress on. After a little searching on google images I found out I had pickleworms. They only seem to affect cucurbits , such type plants as cucumbers, squash, and melons. Thier favorite is squash, though. It was time for them to go. I had to destroy all of my plants and promptly burn them. I wont say they didnt put up a fight...they did have the numbers, but it was victory by a landslide. I won.

Guess i'll be picking up some BT soon before this happens again.

The melon:

SSPX0960.jpg

The worms:

SSPX0961.jpg

SSPX0963.jpg

All my hard work, gone:

SSPX0967.jpg

Weapons of war:

SSPX0965.jpg

SSPX0969.jpg

In ya go...:

SSPX0970.jpg

Light em up:

SSPX0971.jpg

Watch it go!

SSPX0972.jpg

Burn baby burn!!

SSPX0974.jpg

Victory!!

Sorry for the very long post but I think it might be amusing to anyone who sees it. Hope your plants will fare fine after their successful removal. Pests can be a seemingly never ending problem, but you will win the war if you try.

I have had some fataliis look like your ghost, Dan. I was thinking either rabbit, or maybe grasshopper, but I don't know for sure.

And yes, crickets suck, but I haven't ever had them bad enough to try to get rid of them.

This pepper was 4' off the ground, from one of my hydro plants I put outside, rabbits out due to height and a fence, bird or squirrel maybe, or those tiny crickets

I'm going to blanket some de tomorrow if we can go another day without rain, I been useing and old fashion flour sifter as a duster, it works pretty well
Here is some mild leaf damage if it helps

Http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/1911a1fan/photo_zps266d4fd8.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/1911a1fan/photo_zps901a2cef.jpg

Hmm.... Not sure at all. I have a few leaves looking like that as well. I haven't got to spend as much time with the plants as I need to lately. I have been seeing some small grasshoppers around, but it would take 10 of them to demolish that pepper like that. Mine are still close to the ground so I just assumed it was the rabbits.

Whatever ate that pepper didnt seem to like it all that much,lol.

Maybe a rabbit or squirrel that didnt realize how hot it was until the heat built and built...

Probably wont be back.

Chased away a squirrel with an airsoft in my yard this morning, I think its time kick it up a notch, my electronic chaser doesnt cover my whole garden

pepperdan said:
Chased away a squirrel with an airsoft in my yard this morning, I think its time kick it up a notch, my electronic chaser doesnt cover my whole garden
lol, I thought I was the only one with that problem, damn things been digging up all my pots, I got a 435fps pellet gun, if I hit it I might actually kill it, so Im not sure want to kill it, will chille powder work?

Those worms are nasty business. They took out my tomato plant in a day. They like to wrap themselves in the leaves so if you see a leaf that is folded up try pulling it apart and most likely you'll see one sitting inside it. I'm gonna have to sit out today and go leaf by leaf (shouldn't be long since not many left) and get rid of them and hope plant bounces back.

You should see what those suckers do to a nice Cannabis plant. Not pretty.
They destroy the leaves of our Geranium each year as well. Damn Bud worms.

Back