• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help! It's my 3rd year growing and my plants look the worst ever.....

you can always use powered milk, some people like to put egg shells in before planting, or around the soil for a small gain,

with the cal mag you only use 1 tsp per gallon of water, 5mL / ~3700mL

you can make 189 gallons with 1 quart.

Silver_Surfer said:
Top dress with a couple of Tbsp of wood ash and water it in.

That's cool, I didn't know it had calcium in it. Only thing is I don't really have a place to find any.:( Milk won't work?

powdered milk works to an extent. are you trying to figure out things you ALREADY have that will work? or something cheap that you have to buy, cause it seems like you don't want to leave the house to find it. i would go with silver surfer, go find a pallet on the side of the road and light it on fire.

Silver_Surfer said:
No one around you has a fireplace?
We did but got a gas insert 2 years back. :(

teh purple penguins said:
powdered milk works to an extent. are you trying to figure out things you ALREADY have that will work? or something cheap that you have to buy, cause it seems like you don't want to leave the house to find it. i would go with silver surfer, go find a pallet on the side of the road and light it on fire.

I'll leave the house but don't want to spend a lot on it. I don't want to have to find stuff to burn and have a fire either. We aren't allowed to have fires in our city.

I've heard of some people using powdered milk but then I've also read that this is a bad idea due to the fat content

"About 2/3 of milk calcium is called 'colloidal'; that is, it is bound to some extent to casein molecules. Only 1/3 of the calcium is in an ionic form that would be readily available to plants. I would think bacterial action would be required to free the colloidal calcium before it would be available to the plants.
Also, powdered milk is high in fat and protein; bacterial breakdown of the fat will produce rancidity, and some odor could be expected; also possibility of some odor and even ammonia production as bacteria break down the proteins. The flies and maggots should love it! "
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0514180628538.html

Maybe try some tums

Go to your local drugstore and ask for calcium nitrate; it shouldn't be too spendy. Google it, but I think it's 1 tbsp. per gallon of water.

Ah, it took me a few minutes to find; I had asked about calcium in another thread and trinicoolieboy is the one who told me about calcium nitrate = 1 tbsp. per gallon of water.

If you think you need lots of calcium you can try using a tomato fertilizer. Actually most of the water soluble fertilizers(Miracle grow, plant prod etc.) have micronutrients included and they also work great as a foliar application if quick results are desired.

They seem to be growing ou tof it. Would anyone say they look like they need calcium still?
002-19.jpg

003-15.jpg

don't do the milk thing, this year I ground up egg shells and sprinkled it in my soil, out of desperation I did the crushed rolaid thing but don't really believe it played any sort of roll. I did the asparin thing again out of deperation. My tepin has curled leaves but it really hates cold weather of any sort including wind drafts from a cold window.

By the way, I would love my chinense to look like yours, all mine are 4 months old and are still less than an inch in height. they have 2 grow lights on them and a heater pad but growth has gone into stall mode.

Not that I need calcium now but I just found a easy cheap calcium source that was staring me in the face. Bottled spring water.:)

chillilover said:
Not that I need calcium now but I just found a easy cheap calcium source that was staring me in the face. Bottled spring water.:)
'

Wouln't that be quite expensive compared to buying a supplement specifically for plants?

Back