food Help me choose a cast-iron skillet, please

Hi all you spicy food lovers,

With the new growing season starting I feel it's time for a change in the cooking department also (for me), so I was thinking of buying a cast-iron skillet. Could you folks help me choose a good one without spending an arm and a leg for it?

I am currently using a ceramic coated pan with a diameter of 28cm and I find it the right size for almost anything I cook. Sometimes (very seldom) I use a 20cm teflon-like coated Tefal.

I found several cast-iron models in a shop around my area (cast iron skillets are pretty hard to find here) but they are all 24cm. Is that enough? They are also pretty heavy, so I'm thinking a 28cm one would be tough to handle. What should I look for in a model?

Am I better off ordering something online from over-seas? Are the enemal coated ones as good, and most importantly, can I put them in the oven?

Thanks!

Always a good choice in cookware, with proper care these things will last forever and only get better as they age. My Cast Iron of coice has always been THE LODGE.  They are probably the most reputable and well known company here in the states.

I have a 10" and a 12" that i have had/used for the past 10 years

Not sure on shipping over to you, may be pricey??

http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron

FYI Amazon also sells these

I would definitely go with this one $125 U.S.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1830780035/finex-cast-iron-skillet-a-beloved-classic-updated

It is on the expensive side but, if you are wanting a pan for life, money really shouldn't be an issue as cast iron pans only get better after 20-30 years. LODGE used to be the best, but IMO they have gone down hill and have cut corners. The main one being the don't machine the bottom of the pan anymore, so the are not smooth. BOOOOOOO. If I were in the market for a new Cast Iron pan, I would be all over this one like a pack of dogs on a three legged cat. LOL

Are you looking for a coated one or a standard cast iron? Shipping will be up there as they are heavy.

Without trying to find a nice vintage one can't go wrong with a 10" lodge.

Take care of it properly!

Second-hand places should have some nice ones. It doesnt make sense to pay for shipping or for a brand new one.

Those Lodge skillets look really nice and are very cheap. I will try to see how much the shipping would be..

Thanks!

mx5inpa said:
Second-hand places should have some nice ones. It doesnt make sense to pay for shipping or for a brand new one.
Yeah. What he said. Second hand ones can be MUCH better than a brand new one. Already seasoned and good juju infused. Just watch for a smooth bottom (cooking surface).

Scoville DeVille said:
I would definitely go with this one $125 U.S.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1830780035/finex-cast-iron-skillet-a-beloved-classic-updated

It is on the expensive side but, if you are wanting a pan for life, money really shouldn't be an issue as cast iron pans only get better after 20-30 years. LODGE used to be the best, but IMO they have gone down hill and have cut corners. The main one being the don't machine the bottom of the pan anymore, so the are not smooth. BOOOOOOO. If I were in the market for a new Cast Iron pan, I would be all over this one like a pack of dogs on a three legged cat. LOL

Pricey but a far superior design to Lodge.

I have 3 Lodge products; a 10" skillet, a 5 qt enameled, and a reversible griddle with a flat and ribbed (for everyone's pleasure) side.  The 10" was my grandmothers.  The enameled pot is awesome.  I do soups, stews and hot sauce and jellies in it.  The griddle gets mostly used for tortillas and sliders.  I am pleased with all of them.  Looking into grabbing a dutch oven with the feet on it so I can set it over some coals.  But that one Scovie posted is REAL nice looking.

Yes, second-hand places sometimes have them, as do "garage sales". Not sure if they have garage sales or an equivalent in Romania though - these are just small personal sales out of one's home. In some areas in the states they ahve "yard sales" instead, but are the same thing. 

Weight was a factor for me when purchasing my cast iron, so I went with Lodge. Not only does it have a good reputation, but it was lighter than many others. Also, frankly, I don't like the handle on the one Scovie posted. I have small hands with no fat, and that spiral shape and size would be uncomfortable for me.

geeme said:
Yes, second-hand places sometimes have them, as do "garage sales". Not sure if they have garage sales or an equivalent in Romania though - these are just small personal sales out of one's home. In some areas in the states they ahve "yard sales" instead, but are the same thing. 

No, we don't. No yard/garage sales and no second-hand shops. No e-bay either. There is some kind of second-hand market, but not for kitchenware.

I really like this combo:
http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/deep-skillets/combo-cooker-LCC3

One other question... just remembered.

Of the two 24cm cast iron skillets they had in the shop I visited, one was thinner and darker (black) and the other was thicker and lighter (grey). Price was about the same, as I can recall (I think the grey thicker one was a bit more expensive) - about 20$ for both.

Are these differences worth taking into consideration?

Thanks!

I have two 10" and one 12" Lodge and love them.  Just make sure the one you get has a handle to grab on both ends.  My 12" in only has one short handle and it's very hard to hold and especially when loaded w/ food or to pour out the drippings w/ only one hand.

A well seasoned Lodge cast iron pan will look like this.

I believe I used about a teaspoon of canola oil on a paper towel to wipe the pan down before cooking.

i went with the square ribbed model. use it only for meats and vegetables gives a nice end presentation from the ribbing. i use on an electric stove and natural gas bbq. it is not used for eggs or sauces. bit messy too as it didn't come with a cover, so i have to use a lid from my stainless steel pots to reduce any splashing.

It may not help ebh in Romania, but anyone stateside who's interested in a cast iron skillet should check out eBay and look at Griswold skillets. Nicer skillets than Lodge, especially the older ones with the large logo that were made in the 1920s. I have a set from the No 2 (about 5 inches in diameter) to the No. 14 (about 16 inches). Griswold went out of business (bought by Wagner) in the 1950s, I think. The other make I have a similar set of from No 2 to No 14 is Favorite Piqua Ware, which went out of business in the early 1930s. Favorite is harder to find, but their skillets are lighter in weight.

Cast iron collectors will tell you that the quality of the iron of those old skillets is better than more recent stuff.

Other useful cast iron that all those companies made were Dutch ovens and griddles. Very good for cooking.

I took up chiles as a hobby when I ran out of room for more cast iron. I haven't counted, but I must have over 60 skillets. Had to have an intervention! Also, chiles are a far less expensive hobby. Some of my pieces run over $600, and my buddy who got me addicted has stuff that cost over $1,000.

Here's a link to a nice looking No 8:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-No-8-GRISWOLD-Cast-Iron-SKILLET-w-LARGE-DECAL-/191022430549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c79d2f955

Back