food Help me choose a cast-iron skillet, please

ebh said:
One other question... just remembered.

Of the two 24cm cast iron skillets they had in the shop I visited, one was thinner and darker (black) and the other was thicker and lighter (grey). Price was about the same, as I can recall (I think the grey thicker one was a bit more expensive) - about 20$ for both.

Are these differences worth taking into consideration?

Thanks!
I'm not sure, but it sounds like the darker one may be pre-seasoned, while the lighter one is unseasoned. 

ebh said:
One other question... just remembered.

Of the two 24cm cast iron skillets they had in the shop I visited, one was thinner and darker (black) and the other was thicker and lighter (grey). Price was about the same, as I can recall (I think the grey thicker one was a bit more expensive) - about 20$ for both.

Are these differences worth taking into consideration?

Thanks!

Sounds good to me im not a fan of buying these $100+ cast iron skillets or seasoning them and all that stuff. I use mine all the time everyday and those the only type of pans i own from eggs to hamburgers everything in between gets done on the cast iron or the BBQ. Buy one im sure you will love it for many years down the road.

Stick with the Lodge they wont let you down. Garage sales are a good option, but many dont part with their cast irons they are usaully handed down through the generations.  I would never give mine away.  The Finex does look good and they can pitch there product pretty well, for me they are too pricey, also it is fairly new so people cant really testify that it is superior to any of the others that have been on the market for years, decades, centuries. (just sayin)  The pour spouts are nice but personally i am not pouring to much stuff out of my cast iron skillet, aside from leftover grease.  These skillets are the workhorses of the kitchen, made for frying, baking, broiling. You cant beat the price and durability of a Lodge Skillet. I have had mine in ovens, stovetops, and campfires. The Lodge has been around since 1860 somethin and judging by the responses on this thread the majority of cast iron owners are Lodge owners.

Application will depend on enamel coating. Many people buy these for cosmetic reasons. I do have a enamel coated dutch oven from you guesed it The LODGE great pot for long slow cooking in the oven or for big chili makins. Not sure if i'd take campin though.  Perhaps I'm a little rough but i have found that the enamel will chip over time and begin to rust where chipped, so dont think these will stand the test of time as well.

My only gripe about Lodge if you make me have one is I think ALL lodges should come with complementary oven mitts.

Back