• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

help me ID Passiflora edulis

Hi there,

a couple of weeks ago (5-6 weeks) I put some passion-fruit seeds into trays.

I completely forgot about them and here is whats germ'd ...

I have NO IDEA if this are seedlings from passion fruit (passiflora edulis) or some generic weed :D

could someone help me out ID'ing those?

2E56A990-orig_zpsafad3bb2.jpg

7392F49E-orig_zpsdd2bf9c2.jpg

75FE08D0-orig_zps110ba543.jpg

thx for your time!

cheers, Al

a quick google search on "passion fruit seedlings" and they look very close, a second google search says there are several varieties. other pics didn't have your heart type shape leaves. but they did look similar... i would say you have a passion fruit on your hands!

thx,

thats what I did, too (and came to the same conclusion) ... but I'd like to get a 2nd, independent opinion just before I spend the better part of a year growing cr@p :D

this is the flower of the plant i pulled the seeds ...

tumblr_m3zq3bJ7Fw1rrutr7o1_500.jpg

anyone?
thx, Al

That's a passion vine for sure! We grew those every year!

If you can give them enough light, they'll last through winter indoors. We had some hanging on the arbor we got married under and they're still alive. Celebrating our 5th anniversary in a couple months.

That's a passion vine for sure! We grew those every year!

If you can give them enough light, they'll last through winter indoors. We had some hanging on the arbor we got married under and they're still alive. Celebrating our 5th anniversary in a couple months.

cool - thx for the info - yes, they will be brought in in the next couple of days (its autumn here) ... and then I will take care of them ... we do have a large trellis (20 or so yards long) - and I will put them out in spring

again, thxs
al

Definitely a passion vine. We had one that exact color growing over our carport at a previous house. Once they get established, they should survive outside in the winter. It will go dormant and drop all the leaves, but the woody vine is still alive. They come in a variety of colors, and some of them make better tasting (and bigger) fruit than others.

hi there, folks ...

I am updating this thread ... could you reconfirm that its a passion-vine (passiflora) - the girls are some 2 months older now :D

E1BC69A7-orig_zps67aacf74.jpg

another shot - with different sized seedlings

2A63B978-orig_zps42b019d7.jpg

thx for any ay-or-nay! - I still got the feeling I am growing weeds :D

al

That looks like some kind of weed. The leaves are all wrong and it isn't displaying a vine-like growth habit. In the second pic it looks like there are several flowers on the plants and none of them look anything like any passion vine I have seen. 

Passiflora is a fairly large genus and not all of the species are vines. It is possible this is one of the ugly cousins in the family tree.

I am trying to grow Passiflora incarnata, which is very similar to edulis. Here is a picture of what my leaves look like.

Passiflora-incarnata_zpsb73f68a1.jpg

I started the seeds in January and they didn't sprout until March. I put them outside in early May, when they were about 8 cm high. Now they are about 1 meter.

fawk - that's pretty much what I got as gut feeling recently ...

once again, I was throwing aact, worm castings and seabird guano at weeds :D

well - live and learn - I guess

Al

Where in Chile are you Al? Climate?

I grow P.edulis year round here in San Diego, where the climate is "Mediterranean" so nowhere near tropical. We also have P.vitifolia, P.caerulia and a couple of hybrids that give larger fruit than P.edulis. All from seed. P.incarnata grow wild around here, although they aren`t common. 

However, my favourite is P.quadrangularis, which has the largest flowers and largest fruit of the genus (see link). Flowers can be 10+cm across and the fruit is usually larger than a grapefruit. I can grow them here and just about over-winter them, so while everywhere might say they need tropical conditions, you can grow them outside of that. 

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/giant_granadilla.html

what you are growing looks to be arugula (Eruca sativa). I think the people from before must have been messing with you because the seedlings dont really look like passion fruit seedlings either.....

good luck with that though. arugula is a pretty good addition to salads or sandwiches, a very distinct and nutty flavor. but usually when in flower, my experience has been the leaves get more bitter.

*double facepalm*

Of course its rucula! I have some 1000 plants nearby - and even the flowers are a dead giveaway.

I never put 1 and 1 together.

8-) cheers, Al

Hmmmmm I was a bit slow on this - when I saw the notched cotyledons I knew........BRASSICACEAE  aaaaarrrrggghhhhh!  Its a mustrad of sorts - looks like the harsh Jap thing that occasionally gets passed off as a rocket of sorts.

Nigel said:
Where in Chile are you Al? Climate?

I grow P.edulis year round here in San Diego, where the climate is "Mediterranean" so nowhere near tropical. We also have P.vitifolia, P.caerulia and a couple of hybrids that give larger fruit than P.edulis. All from seed. P.incarnata grow wild around here, although they aren`t common. 

However, my favourite is P.quadrangularis, which has the largest flowers and largest fruit of the genus (see link). Flowers can be 10+cm across and the fruit is usually larger than a grapefruit. I can grow them here and just about over-winter them, so while everywhere might say they need tropical conditions, you can grow them outside of that. 

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/giant_granadilla.html
Nigel,

I am in Santiago - climate is said to be like SoCal. Warm dry summers (80ies without clouds for 9 months) - the remainder of the year is mellow warm - nearly never below freezing - it's Def passiflora territory.

Cheers, Al

Back