• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help me save my plants!!

Plants were doing great, then this happened

NRjMUef.jpg

there are occasionally little white spots on the bottom side of the leaves, which i try to wipe off, cant tell if they are little egg layings or what. I got some Sevin from the local Ace Hardware just as emergency messures. but i dont know if thats whats causing the problem or if its something else, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ablizno said:
Plants were doing great, then this happened

NRjMUef.jpg

there are occasionally little white spots on the bottom side of the leaves, which i try to wipe off, cant tell if they are little egg layings or what. I got some Sevin from the local Ace Hardware just as emergency messures. but i dont know if thats whats causing the problem or if its something else, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sun burn from the bleached out spot on the top. Nothing you can do about that, they got too close to the light and got burned. The plant will recover. Edema is probably the white spots that look like eggs on the bottom. Read up on it and chill out on the nutes and water. Wrinky leaves is likely too many nutes.

The only thing your plants are suffering from is you caring for them too much. :shh: Leave them alone a little more. :D

I am going with Jeff H except for on the white spots on the bottom.  Without a photo I havent a clue.  With a photo, I probably couldnt see the details enough.  Go to Radio Shack and get one of those $20.00 hand held microscopes to see if maybe it is mites.  Even if it is not mites, you will love that little microscope.  Look at a flower under one sometime, it is amazing.

If it is mites and you don't mind chemicals, Ortho has a product called Bug B Gone.  It is a concentrate that you mix with water and spray on.  I think the active ingredient is bifenthrin.  Far too scary for me to use but have friend who swears by it for mites and thinks I am some silly hippy for being scared of chemicals.

Okay so this leaves me with more questions. I haven't fed them anything and I wait till the soil gets dry to water them. It's fluffy right now but looks like it might rain so holding off. Also it's an outside grow. And it's been mid 80s. Have them in a spot where they don't get baked all day. So maybe just try cal-mag? The wrinkly leaves seem to be common with fatali so I wasn't to worried about that. Should I be?

Crinkly or bubbley leaves indicate a Ca or Mg deficiency, which might be from low Ca/Mg or from a high soil pH.  Super-hot chinense like reapers and Butch T are particularly susceptible, but fatalii isn't all that susceptible.  When I've seen a problem, it hasn't been in fatalii.  The spots of leaf necrosis goes along with a general nutrient dficiency, though there are several possible causes, including fert burn.

Orlando water pH is about 8.0 and the mineral content is pretty high, but a peat-based soil should remain relatively acidic (6.0-6.5) this early, so I doubt that pH is a problem.  (Do check.)  It wouldn't hurt to treat with CalMag.  Note that CalMag directions tell you to adjust pH in the solution to 6.0-6.5. 

The current leaves won't improve.  Look for any improvement in new leaves.

What potting medium are you using?

DMF said:
Crinkly or bubbley leaves indicate a Ca or Mg deficiency, which might be from low Ca/Mg or from a high soil pH.  Super-hot chinense like reapers and Butch T are particularly susceptible, but fatalii isn't all that susceptible.  When I've seen a problem, it hasn't been in fatalii.  The spots of leaf necrosis goes along with a general nutrient dficiency, though there are several possible causes, including fert burn.

Orlando water pH is about 8.0 and the mineral content is pretty high, but a peat-based soil should remain relatively acidic (6.0-6.5) this early, so I doubt that pH is a problem.  (Do check.)  It wouldn't hurt to treat with CalMag.  Note that CalMag directions tell you to adjust pH in the solution to 6.0-6.5. 

The current leaves won't improve.  Look for any improvement in new leaves.

What potting medium are you using?

http://blackgold.bz/products/organic/?id=62

That's the potting medium I'm using. Thanks for all the info!! I'll check the ph but I usually let it get dry and wait before letting it get rain water as I know the hose water isn't the best here.

havent seen anymore of the white things under the leaves so i cant post pictures, hoping the pesticide took care of that. Also have 3 little flower buds now :) lets hope something doesnt eat them.

Are you planning on taking those two plants out of that container? Looks a bit...small and about time to pot them up. With that being said, is that container clay/ceramic? You should try not to use those types of pots for peppers, they'll soak up your water faster than you want. If you find your way down to miami, holler. I have a few extra, small plants i can give you 

BigB said:
Are you planning on taking those two plants out of that container? Looks a bit...small and about time to pot them up. With that being said, is that container clay/ceramic? You should try not to use those types of pots for peppers, they'll soak up your water faster than you want. If you find your way down to miami, holler. I have a few extra, small plants i can give you 

No it's plastic. I do plan on putting them in a bigger container. I didn't realize how small this one was.

And thanks for the offer :) first time growing something other than Japs.

Here's a little summary of my seedlings 

Aji Mango

Aji Panca

Aji Peruvian

Aji Verde

Bhut, Mustard

CGN24360

Cumari de Para

Dulce Sol

Jim Weaver Mustard Lightinging Hab

Jay's Peach Bhut Scorpion 

Piment De Neyede

Red Pumpkin

SB ISO MOA

SB MOA JUDY 

SB MOA JUDY OP

SB MOA

SB MOA RED

Shishito

Thai Mike

Mystery pepper, probably cgn24360

BigB said:
Here's a little summary of my seedlings  Aji Mango 1 Aji Panca 1 Aji Peruvian 2 Aji Verde 1 Bhut, Mustard 1 CGN24360 2 Cumari de Para 2 Dulce Sol 1 Jim Weaver Mustard Lightinging Hab 3 Jay's Peach Bhut Scorpion  1 Piment De Neyede 1 Red Pumpkin 2 SB ISO MOA 1 SB MOA JUDY  1 SB MOA JUDY OP 1 SB MOA 3 SB MOA RED 1 Shishito 2 Thai Mike 1 Mystery pepper, probably cgn24360 1
Peach bhut scorpion is the next pepper I want to start after I see how these white fatali end up doing.

i can't recall 100% but i think wickedmike mentioned fatalii aren't the easiest to grow down here, but still possible

fertile-burn.  could also be excessive pesticide use pooling on the leaves and burning them.  i dont know your methods but id def say too much chemicals!

The white patches look like sunburn. I had the same problem and it looked almost exactly the same. I even had little yellow spots come up in spots where there was more minor damage. It could be that it's also nutrient related. For that, I cannot give much of an opinion. But, it looks like maybe too much of something.

Topsmoke said:
fertile-burn.  could also be excessive pesticide use pooling on the leaves and burning them.  i dont know your methods but id def say too much chemicals!

i have not used any chemical on my plants before taking this picture, I got some Sevin to deal with the little white nats since posting this.

BigB said:
i can't recall 100% but i think wickedmike mentioned fatalii aren't the easiest to grow down here, but still possible

I've grown fatalii in Georgia.  They - at least the basic variety, I don't know about these froofy white perverts - is solid, prolific, and well adapted to the GA and FL climates.  Any problem you have growing them is with you, not with fatalii.

Ablizno, Jay's Peach Bhut Scorpion is a marvelous pepper.  But why don't you learn on something that isn't as marginal as a "white fatalii"?   Learn to walk before you try to run.

DMF said:

I've grown fatalii in Georgia.  They - at least the basic variety, I don't know about these froofy white perverts - is solid, prolific, and well adapted to the GA and FL climates.  Any problem you have growing them is with you, not with fatalii.

Now that I think back on it, it wasn't the fatalii. I think he was talking about scorpion peppers. I think I asked him about the butch-t scorpion and he said they're a little bit difficult. Regardless, it's grow season down here in FL now. Pot em up and let them flourish!

DMF said:

Ablizno, Jay's Peach Bhut Scorpion is a marvelous pepper.  But why don't you learn on something that isn't as marginal as a "white fatalii"?   Learn to walk before you try to run.
I've grown japs before and am growing some habs as well. But I've never used any fert or anything. Just let them do their thing and they've been fine. Never seen these stupid white fly things before either.

Back