• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

help! my tomato plant is wilting

two days ago i notice the tips/young shoots of my branches were wilting so i gave them water and it almost bounce back in the next morning except for one branch. then yesterday when i got back from work. the whole plant is wilted i gave water as usual. and today morning its still the same. the whole plant is wilted. its a 3 1/2 feet to 4 feet plant.

help what should i do.. its was flowering all over and has set one fruit at the moment.
it has been very hot lately. i also notice that the stem near the ground is brown and the first few leaves are also brown dry. (dead)

please help.

photos i will try to upload this week end.

ooo, sounds like damping off. if thats the case, you have to quickly cut off a few branches and try to root them because the plant is a goner.

ooo, sounds like damping off. if thats the case, you have to quickly cut off a few branches and try to root them because the plant is a goner.
Thanks kiddc for your advise. how do i do that ? do i cut off the branches and put them in water or use rooting powder and plant them ?
i thought damping off just happens to seedlings ?

make sure they are out of the sun - shield them from direct sunlight, mist them with epsom salt, take an aspirin and put it in a 1 litre bottle of water and feed the plant, if you have some calcium carbonate feed them a dose, if that is not available in your area, then crush up some egg shells, bake them, soak them in water overnight, water your plant, then sprinkle the shells around the plant.

The same happened to 8 plants that I had.

We had a few blazing hot days here in a row of around 40-43C.
I took them out of direct sunlight but the heat of the air made them wilt.
They would bounce back a little bit at night but with overnight temps getting down to only 24C it was still hot.
Leaves started to turn crispy after wilting the previous day until 90% of the leaves were gone.

After this happened I removed all the dead leaves and other problems came, I found spider mites on a couple plants.
I had planned on getting rid of all the remaining plants but over the past week a couple of them have grown an extra 4" or so taller.

Take a look and see if yours look anything like mine do, http://www.youtube.com/user/thehittmann1981

make sure they are out of the sun - shield them from direct sunlight, mist them with epsom salt, take an aspirin and put it in a 1 litre bottle of water and feed the plant, if you have some calcium carbonate feed them a dose, if that is not available in your area, then crush up some egg shells, bake them, soak them in water overnight, water your plant, then sprinkle the shells around the plant.
i got a problem bring it in as the plant is planted to the ground and its abt 3-4 feet tall.. misting with epsom salt i can do. as for egg shells there are plenty of eggs shell in that ground. i have been crushing the eggs sheels and dumping it in the ground for months.

if the plant survives i need to make a shade for it i think. this weekend project.

if you don't bake the egg shells, you are looking at years for them to break down, they have to be baked.

as for getting the plant out of the sun, bringing it in is just one way, i didn't mention that, i just said, "get it out of the sun, shield them from the sun(is what i said)", you can put up netting, if you don't have netting, put up a sheet of wood, anything to remove the direct effects of sunlight.

....and for christ's sake, don't mist them in direct sunlight, do it in the evening!

The same happened to 8 plants that I had.

We had a few blazing hot days here in a row of around 40-43C.
I took them out of direct sunlight but the heat of the air made them wilt.
They would bounce back a little bit at night but with overnight temps getting down to only 24C it was still hot.
Leaves started to turn crispy after wilting the previous day until 90% of the leaves were gone.

After this happened I removed all the dead leaves and other problems came, I found spider mites on a couple plants.
I had planned on getting rid of all the remaining plants but over the past week a couple of them have grown an extra 4" or so taller.

Take a look and see if yours look anything like mine do, http://www.youtube.com/user/thehittmann1981
WOW you got a nice garden there. is that zucchini there? nice

i don't think its the same. mine were healthy green leaves wilted. just a few days ago its was so nice and healthy plant.

if you don't bake the egg shells, you are looking at years for them to break down, they have to be baked.

as for getting the plant out of the sun, bringing it in is just one way, i didn't mention that, i just said, "get it out of the sun, shield them from the sun(is what i said)", you can put up netting, if you don't have netting, put up a sheet of wood, anything to remove the direct effects of sunlight.

....and for christ's sake, don't mist them in direct sunlight, do it in the evening!
ok.. thanks.....hope it survives...today .. when i get home to see it.

WOW you got a nice garden there. is that zucchini there? nice

I don't think its the same. mine were healthy green leaves wilted. just a few days ago its was so nice and healthy plant.

Yes I've got 3 zucchini, 3 sunflowers, 2 butternut pumpkin, 4 basil, 3 cucumber, 5 cherry tomato, 1 cayenne, 1 explosive ember, 4 eggplant and a Lavender in the first bed. Did have Radish and Carrots as well but the Radishes are now done and the carrots never came up.

In the other bed I have 4 beans, 3 riesentraube toms, 3 oregon spring toms, 3 black cherry toms have my potted chilli's sitting on top of it as well as more potted toms of those varieties as well as 2 giant tree toms and my 64 mini cauliflower seedlings. I only have room for about 40 of.

this is the picture of my wilted tomato plant. i have already cut a few branches and put in water

p1040364s.jpg

the tomato plant is browning from the crown(bottom.) :(
some of my cuttings has picked up. i put them in water.

Yeap thats what happened to mine. First they wilted then then went crispy then I cut them off.
Some have grown a foot taller since that happened but more leaves have since wilted, gone crispy and been cut off.
I'll take a fresh pic tomorrow.

Yeap thats what happened to mine. First they wilted then then went crispy then I cut them off.
Some have grown a foot taller since that happened but more leaves have since wilted, gone crispy and been cut off.
I'll take a fresh pic tomorrow.
is it still happening to you now ??
it has been very hot here lately but yesterday we had a storm...two of my pepper plants uprooted. :(

Nah they seem to be doing fine now.
Your weather there sounds a lot like here.
We had a few days in the mid 40s (Celcius) and we've just had a day of total rain. I'd guess that it rained for around 14 hours of the day. I think the problem with mine is that they weren't in enough light to start with so when the hot temps came they were not used to the heat. My Cherry tomatoes in direct sun in my garden beds did fine. No wilt no dead leaves.

Nah they seem to be doing fine now.
Your weather there sounds a lot like here.
We had a few days in the mid 40s (Celcius) and we've just had a day of total rain. I'd guess that it rained for around 14 hours of the day. I think the problem with mine is that they weren't in enough light to start with so when the hot temps came they were not used to the heat. My Cherry tomatoes in direct sun in my garden beds did fine. No wilt no dead leaves.
so all your plants survived ?
was there any browning of the stems near the soil ??

Back