• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

HELP! Pepper plant problem URGENT

Hey guys, I recently learned today that one of my Naga bhut jolokia pepper plant has fallen over and lost one leaf. I posted a link below of the picture. I just transplanted a week or two ago into a 50 percent vermiculite 50 percent potting soil mix. I have only fertilized once. I dont over water so this is not a damping off problem. Last night i soaked the top soil in peroxide and sprayed the soil with it because i realized there was fungus growing on it. Do you guys know if this plant can be saved? Thank you guys.
http://s333.beta.photobucket.com/user/jac98/media/Naga%20Bhut%20Jolokia/247_zpsba4463a3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Try piling up more soil around the stem after supporting it. Odds are the stem is broken but it may develop new roots from the fissure.

I lost more than half my plants due to dampening off last year. Hard lesson.

What I like to do to prevent Doff is take my soil and Microwave it for a few minutes to kill everything, It makes a good starter mix, and when the life comes back to the soil later, there will be pleanty of organic stuff for it to eat. Or just start with peat moss.

+1 to the toothpick idea, and planting it deeper.

my suggestion would be to tie it to a toothpick, treat it with a little bit of peroxide, and then bury it deeper. I've heard (though not tried) the peroxide trick, and have been told that if caught early, sometimes thats sufficient to save the seedling.

however this isn't early. Though if it does survive, you'll want the fungus dead.

this is caused by bugs or nats they bite the stem and this cause the plants to die... try to spry the plants with something like need oil that should keep the bugs away...

Hey Guys, I thank you all for your opinions and information. Im still in the process of saving it. ITs not doing too bad. But, Other seedling are having similiar effects but not as bad. I have replanted them in sterile containers with better quality soil. Is there anything i should do to them? And also, When should i begin watering? Thank you!

Get some fans, if you don't have them already, on the babies. Judy's right about the neem oil. H2O2 also works: I use it in warm seed soak along with salt petre. Also, sounds like a gimmick but it's not: Actinovate. Not voodoo. Prevents and treats damping off, among other "death related incidents." Again, the fans and some outside air blown in, if possible: plants need oxygen as much as do water.

I agree with most here.

+1 toothpick (skewer, whatever)
+1 deeper potting
+1 fans
+1 dry it out a bit

From what I have seen, gnats like the top of the soil to be wet in order to do it's thing. It's a bugger when it happens and most times, I repot by removing the entire plant, gently washing the root ball with water removing all soil, using a new potting soil and replanting into the next size up pot. I will water the bottom half of the soil, plant the plant and add more dry soil until the bent portion of the stalk is nicely covered by about an inch. I will let that set for a few days out of direct sunlight and then start the watering LIGHTLY.

It may be to the extreme but that method covers the gnat/wet, dampening off, and will try to support and revive the bent stalk. It's worked every time for me; however, sometimes the stalk will develop some small bumps. This tells me the main source of water is cut off from the rest of the plant (bent damaged stalk). Those bumps will actually produce new roots if they are buried so I will repot again after I see those bumps but even deeper to cover the bumps.

I would say it's dampening off. You don't need to treat the soil for that. Just get some air movement going. As for that particular plant put another inch of soil round the base and hope.

Fungus gnats don't go for the plants and yes they love it when the soil is damp at the top. They lay eggs in it. The larvae of the fungus gnat will eat the seeds, interior part only and roots. You can kill them with predators and insecticides. Great link for learning: http://www.google.co...7,d.b2U&cad=rja

I had a huge issue with this SOB's last year. I even caught a few of them nibbling on the inside of the seeds.

DSC015071600x1200.jpg

See the little bastage? White body with a black head. This picture is taken when the seed was still in the growing medium.

You want to see what they can do to roots?

This plant had them and wasn't treated.

DSC017091700x1275.jpg

This plant had them but was treated. Both were started at the same time.

DSC017071700x1275.jpg

Back