HELP!! Peppers got left in the cold...

Keep them warm inside and they may pop up, remove the damaged leaves and see if new leaves come in, watch the peppers to see if they go off.

Welcome to the Forum !! :)

Cheez, how cold did it get? 

The upper foliage is toast.  You may be able to save the plants, but don't bet on it.  Take the pods and run.  Fortunately those don't look like particularly rare varieties.  Cayenne and Hungarian Hot Wax? 

Where are you, UK?

Welcome to THP
Plants are gone for now. new growth may form if maintained in a more suitable environment. If you are going to grow indoors now is the time to make the move. ripe peppers should be harvested now as they are ready. Unripe peppers may still ripen on the vine bu will add to the stress on the plant and its recovery if any.

Pick any peppers mature enough that you want to save them. Refrigerate and eat within a couple weeks or freeze the rest. With that much leave damage they are bound to have some pod cell damage and will probably rot soon if left on the plants.

As for the plants themselves, all you can do is wait and see. The thinner branches, at least the tips, are probably dead and will turn dark brown within in a week or two, but (depending on how cold it got) there's probably some live plant towards the bottom that you could overwinter till next year.

Thank you for all of the advice.

They were left out for one night and it dropped close to zero.

I will harvest the peppers tonight and decide what to do which them.

What do you all like to do with your peppers?

Steve
So here is what we have from the plants:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhgg39fajxat793/Photo%202015-10-18%2C%206%2036%2036%20PM.jpg?dl=0

The varieties are Thai Dragon (the smallest ones), Cherry Hot (the round ones), and Banana Peppers.

I am thiking making hot sauce would be a great way to use these up.

I will have a look at the recipies but if anyone would like to suggest one that they are particularly fond of that would be great!

Thank you again for all of the great advice.

Steve

One more question, how far back should we be cutting the plants back?

Like should I remove everything down to 6 inches from the soil or is that too much?

Steve

They were left out for one night and it dropped close to zero.

Is that zero C or zero F? 

That damage is not done by "close to zerooC".  That's a pretty nasty freeze there, bo', though zero F seems a bit much.  Are you perchance in a valley?  A low spot could easily be up to 10 degrees (F) colder than an "official" temperature. 

As for cutting the plants back, as I said the upper foliage is toast.  Just how far back the stems die you could wait to see.  Or you could go into full "strip them back to the main trunk; wash and trim the roots" over-wintering mode.  Your choice.  But I agree with moruga welder.  Take what you've learned and start fresh for next year.

Sorry yes zero C, We are located about 30 minutes north of Toronto.

Well, it makes sense to me to try and save the plant if its possible, so I guess we will cut it back as far as seem reasonable and go from there.

I am harvesting seeds from the peppers for next season though so we can apply what we have learned to that!

Cheers!

Steve

moruga welder said:
:welcome:  to T.H.P. !   Myself , i'd write them off .  Start a new for next season .    :onfire:
Thanks for the welcome!!

Back