• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests HELP! PEST ATTACK!

Since this last few weeks of rain showers I had started seeing a few of these grasshoppers...well the last three days, when I walk across our yard, I literally step on one every third step....hadn't really seen any around the peppers until I went to fertilize today....

the fat one had eaten an entire bhut leave and was working on another....

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

What can I spray (really want to stay organically inclined on this one) to kill these things or at least keep them off the peppers?

Oh, are these Georgia thumpers?

oh, Guru, if you see this - i killed them and put them in the fish boil, haha. I figured they had to be full of something plantilly nutritious... :party:

Go to the store (Menards, Homedepot, Farm and Fleet....or whatever you have around you) and pick up some Diatomeceous Earth. It takes care of any exoskeleton that comes near your plants. It kills good bugs too, which is a downside but if you take care of the bad ones why do you need the good ones anyway!! lol....I kid I kid. I just used it on my garden yesterday. Supposed to kill them dead in 48 hrs. I think it takes care of slugs too.

(Feed or food grade diatomeceous earth, not the kind that goes in the pool filters)

Flipping Lubbers... only way I know to get rid of them is with blunt force trauma or a sharp edged weapon.

From what I've seen, they laugh at insecticides (think they just get drunk on it... throw a party and make babies...).

No natural predators either once they get large. Have seen a couple around 4-5" so far this year. One got diced, the others crushed.

Some folks like them as "pets" and they are welcome to them. I see them near my peppers and they get ground into fertilizer though... ;)

Just a note (and a guess)- those both appear to still be young. The yellow on the top one will turn into more of an orange when they get fully grown... the black is a juvie...

Ok we have Diatomeceous Earth pretty readily available around here. Do I just toss it around the base of the plant, on the ground, put it into one of those dusting foggers and puff it onto the peppers?

My Lord, those things are bigger than Chihuahuas!!! I say, catch them and sell them for pets but that's just me.

man I know...those are just the ones hanging around - I caught one the other day that was literally 6 1/2" long and the thickness of a banana. I'm almost positive I saw tear drop tattoos on him, haha.

Flipping Lubbers... only way I know to get rid of them is with blunt force trauma or a sharp edged weapon.

From what I've seen, they laugh at insecticides (think they just get drunk on it... throw a party and make babies...).

they are relentless, I hit several of them with some neem oil I have mixed up and followed through with some ortho home defense max, haha. I'm pretty sure he just farted out the spray and commenced eating my plants.

I am pretty sure neem oil is not going to work on those guys. It is more of a soft-bodied insect killer. You need a couple of young cats, they are great at grasshopper control if you can find a way to keep them in the garden.

Back