• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help please

The flowers on my Cayenne seem to dry out in to a brown crisp and drop. here is a picture. Is that ok?

http://s954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/homerunbaseballcards/?action=view&current=008.jpg

Thanks

Barry

The flowers on my Cayenne seem to dry out in to a brown crisp and drop. here is a picture. Is that ok?

008.jpg

Thanks

Barry
Reminds me of when my pods set. Are there pods where the flowers went brown and fell???

i have seen this before :eek: .

if the flower petals fall off and what does not fall off
starts to swell and looks like a tiny green pepper the chances are pretty good
that you have poddage and should celebrate :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

however the pods are not counted until they are ready to eat size and are picked for that
(do not count chickens before hatching) :lol:

if the green part falls off with the flower petals with the tiny flowers stem thingie
you just got a blossom to drop and will have to look for others to set pods

some chilis drop lots and others will set near every flower to pod :eek:

Exactly, I have 6 varieties of peppers growing and on some, I have a lot of blossom drop where the flower and stem wither and falls off. But, on all of those plants, there are a lot of blooms and there are plenty others where the flower whithers and browns up and eventually falls but the stem stays and usually you can see the start of a baby pepper sticking out with the Stamen or whatever it is sticking out of it. So, basically, if just the flower petals die and fall, it is great. If the flower petals die and fall along with the stem, then it is a lost bloom. On my Banana Pepper plant and my Charleston, I have much fewer blooms than my Bhuts, Cayennes, Habaneros, and Long Red Slims but just about every single bloom goes to fruit. On the others, I get a lot of blooms but many drop without producing...in the end, all my plants are bearing good loads of pods.

So I am getting lost blossoms on my cayenne. Is that someting to worry about or in time I will get success on this plant? My other chillies are doing fine its just this cayenne.

Thanks

The bloom in your pic above looks exactly like what happens when a pod is forming. But from behind we can't see if the stigma remains while the flower dies off. Bloom drop is nothing to be alarmed about at this point in my opinion. Heat can certainly effect them but as stated your temps are low enough not to. Sometimes a plant is just not ready to produce fertile pollen so it aborts the attempt. Sorry I can't remember where I read that.

Good luck Mike

Back