• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Help seperating seedlings

I've got several seedlings in 3" pots that are about 4" tall now and I have a few pots where 2 plants exist. They're getting big enough that I really need to cut one down or try to separate them. I'm a bit tight on space right now...

I'm worried that trying to pull out one plant may damage the other one. Cutting one seems safest to preserve one... but some of these seedlings look fantastic and I'd like to save them if I can.

Any tips on extracting 4" seedlings growing close to each other?

Dont think I would even mess with since they are that big. I seperate small seedlings but plants that size probably have roots that are all wrapped together and will probably kill both trying to seperate.

This is the main reason I don't plant more than one seed per cup. The thought of sacrificing a seedling breaks my heart. My best advice would be to be very patient while you're doing the work. Seedlings are pretty fragile when they're new and it won't take much tugging to break the root off. Slow and steady. Good luck to ya clones2.

Should you decide to save both, get a bowl or pot big enough for the root ball, and fill it with water. Then gently tease away the dirt and roots to separate them. When you plant them, make sure the roots are pointing down.

i think peppers are like garlic

there is no such thing as too much

try the mad scientist approach and separate them

suckers, i would just get a utility knife and cut between them

but you may experiment as "hot stuff" wrote and try to bare root them

if you want :woohoo:

try a couple and see how well it works it sounds better than choosing to

"execute" a seedling you have grown fond of

I've had to seperate 3-4 inch seedlings a few times. It can take a long time and require a lot of patience. Just don't damage the primary roots much, if at all, and it should be alright. And don't do it in the sun or in high intensity light since it'll probably take a while. And if you don't have to do it, don't.

I dense plant all of seedlings to start and inevitably they get tangled before I get to separate them all. The roots will break but I have yet to lose any plants after separating them. They are tougher than you think so long as they aren't abused. The smaller roots will break but they will survive. Protect the main root when pulling them apart.

How I do it is to grab the clump and support the roots in my hand. Then, gently work my fingers through the clump to loosen the roots. As the plants begin to break away from the clump, I pull gently until they come loose while stil working the roots. Again, if some small roots break, it's usually going to survive. And protect the main root at all times.

Mix a little genuine aspirin in chlorine-free water and water them with it after you separate and replant, it'll perk them right up if their roots were a little torn.

Afterwards keep them heavily shaded in a cooler spot, for a couple of days at least, which will allow them some time to recover before going into the bright light or sun. You can repeat the aspirin water after a few days if you like. I'd say shade and cooler temperatures are the most important though.

You should be able to rescue all three of them this way, though their growth will be set back at least a week or so.

Just did it to these plants a week ago, two of them lost a LOT of their roots, but they still appear fine, for now at least:

2.jpg

1.jpg

Or, as others mentioned, you can just snip the weakest plant and call it a day. Normal growth would resume faster than the method i explained above (less transplant shock, fuller root set, etc etc).

Hey guys. I was hoping to kick this thread back into gear for a moment. I basically wanted to see the difference between germinating in Jiffy pellets and germinating in seed potting mix. I didnt have much to work with so i figured i would just throw a bunch of seeds into this mushroom container and see what the results would be. So now i am sitting here looking at this and wondering when to take the next step? I assume i will want to put each seedling in its own little cup but would like to know if i should wait for the first true leaves or get these bad boys going sooner. Any advice would be much appreciated! These are Orange Habaneros.

5-14OrangeHabs.jpg

On all the doubles, triples etc that I started, I found that seperating them in water (bowl, not running), seemed to help. Gently agitating the plants and slowly separating them while holding them in the bowl seemed to get rid of the dirt and a lot of the tangles.

I didn't lose any plants doing it that way, but it takes a good amount of time. I think next time, If it's something I have a lot of, I may just cull the smaller/weaker ones, if there is one...

Back