• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help setting up an RDWC system for peppers?

Hello everyone! I am looking to start a Hydroponics system for my super hot peppers. I also may try to grow tomatoes/other fruits(or veggies!).

My plan was to go with a basic DWC setup. After some research, I decided it would be better to go with an RDWC for ease of maintenance and reliability in terms of PH and nutrients. I want to do 4 growing buckets plus a res.

I am having a hard time finding what buckets and what bulkheads, to start. I think I will be using a 760 or 1030gph air pump and 400gph water pump.

I want to use 2" bulkheads and tubing to make sure they don't get plugged with roots. Looking at these bulkheads, https://alliedaqua.com/equipment-and-supplies/plumbing-and-fittings/bulkheads-and-uniseals/2-inch-bulkhead-fittings/bulkhead-fitting-slip-inlet-x-thread-outlet-2-inch/ due to cost. I was looking at Culture bulkheads but they're over $10 per each. I don't know what buckets to use due to wanting squared/rectangles to insure there are no leaks.

Thanks for any help/info/opinions!!!

Someone I talked to briefly said that real bulkheads are much better than the Uniseals. I will definitely look into them, I didn't even really consider them.

As for 2", I thought it would be worthwhile 8n case I decide to upgrade to 6 buckets. It's only a bit more money up front and it could save a lot of trouble in the future. I've seen a few cases of roots clogging 1" if the plants get very large, so I want to be sure that doesn't happen.

Thanks for the reply!!

mattbhm said:
Someone I talked to briefly said that real bulkheads are much better than the Uniseals. I will definitely look into them, I didn't even really consider them.

As for 2", I thought it would be worthwhile 8n case I decide to upgrade to 6 buckets. It's only a bit more money up front and it could save a lot of trouble in the future. I've seen a few cases of roots clogging 1" if the plants get very large, so I want to be sure that doesn't happen.

Thanks for the reply!!

Uniseals work perfectly.  Have some outdoors that have been connecting 2 rain barrels for over 8 years, no leaks.  

I don't normally disagree with Juanitos, but I'd tell you to definitely go with the 2", because they can definitely fill up, and get clogged with, roots.  There are ways to prevent or mitigate this, but It's such an easy thing to oversize the pipe.

When you install bulkhead grommets like that, ALWAYS cut an angle on the end of the pipe, for assembly.  Leave them sharp.  It won't affect flow, but it will make all the difference in the world, when it comes to being able to assemble the pipe in the grommets.  Also, use a dishwashing detergent or KY Jelly to lubricate the seal before inserting the pipe. (yes, it works exactly like the innuendo implies)

Also, when installing in plastic, run your hole saw in REVERSE.  The combination of drill torque, combined with those teeth digging into plastic, can put a real hurt on you.

Also, just to note...  I have my 2" Uniseals installed in a round container.  No leaks, ever.  They are actually designed to be installed in curved surfaces.  The flush fit is important for bulkheads, but not Uniseals.  They are all about the interference created by a well drilled hole.  So, follow installation instructions.  Use a hole saw, don't try to jig saw it.

solid7 said:

Thanks for all of the info! I'll use all of it! I am definitely considering uniseals. It would cut costs by 25%+ if I could get them instead of bulkheads and if I could use 5 gallon homer buckets. I will be building a shower pan thing under my setup so a leak won't destroy anything. With that said, it doesn't appear that uniseals leak very often. My other option is bulkheads on Home Depot totes. Cheaper than the EZ Stor buckets.

willard3 said:

Yeah, definitely going atleast 2", just to be safe!

Thanks guys!! Are there recommended growing lights for a hydro setup like this?

you might want to check out selfwatering totes / kratky setups.
a bit cheaper to just not worry about the recirculating part at all.
autopots as well, but are expensive up front.
another benefit is not spending money on electricity of the water and air pump.

you guys are right that 2in is better.
i thought op was just trying to cheap out as much as possible.

1in can work with regular maintenance or an oversize pump, the idea is higher flow rate breaks any roots that get in the way.

Yeah, the RWDC return line can be very small diameter. (It's gravity loaded with decent head, anyway)  You don't want high flow, or heavy agitation.  Just enough to turn the whole system over 3-4 times per hour, as a good standard.

Back